Video - a useful way of colour correcting

Morning all

I'm just starting my first steps into video but not wanting to go the whole hog for Adobe Premiere.

If you have certain versions of Photoshop you can do some nifty stuff with video in it. 

Last night, I had the problem of needing to colour correct something and came across this video on Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/80729255

Thought it may be if use to others so I posted it here.

Jools

That's very interesting, thanks.  My route into photography was from video and I've been using Apple's Final Cut for 10+ years. Certainly didn't realise PS CC was so flexible in working with both photo and video.  

If anyone is thinking of using either of these programs as a means of producing stock video, you will need to consider  the output formats available. Perhaps the most commonly used format in stock, though by no means the only one, is Quicktime MOV saved with with a Photo-Jpeg codec. I know that Lightroom 4 doesn't save in that format. I don't know about Photoshop.

The other thing I find is that video is much less forgiving in applying colour correction than still images -  it doesn't take much to introduce visible noise or artefacts which may render clips unacceptable for stock submission.

I try to avoid post-processing video as much as I can, and I find the facilities offered by Adobe Premiere Elements suffice except that there is no built-in noise reduction facility.

If anyone is thinking of using either of these programs as a means of producing stock video, you will need to consider  the output formats available. Perhaps the most commonly used format in stock, though by no means the only one, is Quicktime MOV saved with with a Photo-Jpeg codec. I know that Lightroom 4 doesn't save in that format. I don't know about Photoshop.

The other thing I find is that video is much less forgiving in applying colour correction than still images -  it doesn't take much to introduce visible noise or artefacts which may render clips unacceptable for stock submission.

I try to avoid post-processing video as much as I can, and I find the facilities offered by Adobe Premiere Elements suffice except that there is no built-in noise reduction facility.

Now, this is true on the rendering side. I couldn't see any decent options available in PS apart from exporting the video as an image sequence and then putting them back in again to create a movie clip.

Still, I thought the original link was worth a look.

Try looking at Philip Bloom's website too. he suggests using a particular user defined output on the Canon SLRs that gives you a very unprocessed look. The idea being that you can do a lot more to it should you need to.

Archived