Now Facebook are getting in on the crowd sourcing act. Without checking the Terms of Use I would have thought even publically posted images are still subject to copyright protection?

http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2014/04/24/facebook-launches-fb-newswire/

I will need to understand it better but it could well be the end of my use of Facebook.

It says they won't pick up anything if you have your privacy settings set to keep it private. 

It will be ok for a while until Facebook decide to 'monetize' the feed like other newswires.

By then I will not using Facebook. I assume somebody will be making money from it, I don't see News Corp as an altruistic organisation! Even if they are only creating an asset at this stage.

As I understand they (and their News Corp partner) will be consolidating interesting posts from FB and sending a (summary, I assume) feed to subscribers. If the journalists, bloggers etc want more information they will be able to link to the original posting or contact the poster for more details. However I suspect many bloggers will use as-is, in breach of the original poster's copyright. I guess (in fact I am pretty sure) FB terms of use permit them to at least distribute such "public" content as they see fit.

As someone commented elsewhere each FB "innovation" reduces its appeal. Each time I, too, get closer to the exit.

I see massive amounts of Facebook photos used in news stories(especially Yahoo) and ads.Even those that have a "© Photographers Name"  They put  FACEBOOK in bold letters over it.

I don't put my images there,just links to the image on my own site.

L

I see massive amounts of Facebook photos used in news stories(especially Yahoo) and ads.Even those that have a "© Photographers Name"  They put  FACEBOOK in bold letters over it.

I don't put my images there,just links to the image on my own site.

L

I don't put anything up on FB I regard as remotely useful. Very occasional family picture and then small. I know abusers will use anything...

Archived