ACR crops when compared to Photo Ninja

Hi,

I've just been comparing my Fuji X E 1 raw files between Adobe Bridge /Lightroom Vs Photo Ninja, and i've just realised Acr and LR crops the image slightly,  4896 x 3264 @ 91.4mb ,   compared with Photo Ninja 4952 x 3288 @ 93.2mb (both 16bit )  

Anyone got any idea as to what causes this?           I'll probably stick with ACR so I'd really like to get it sorted.

Gary

Hi,

I've just been comparing my Fuji X E 1 raw files between Adobe Bridge /Lightroom Vs Photo Ninja, and i've just realised Acr and LR crops the image slightly,  4896 x 3264 @ 91.4mb ,   compared with Photo Ninja 4952 x 3288 @ 93.2mb (both 16bit )  

Anyone got any idea as to what causes this?           I'll probably stick with ACR so I'd really like to get it sorted.

Gary

I think it happens as you applied the lens correction/profile.  When the lens profile is applied (especially if it is a wide angle lens), there will be a blank space with no information therefore it crops it out.

Sung 

Most cameras have more pixels than they return for the image. If you look at the specs of the Fuji X-E1 and up they have 17m pixels but use 16.3 for the image. When I am converting Fuji X-E1 RAF files in Capture 1 Pro and select the crop tool I can see more image around the default (16.3mpixel) crop and can expand the crop area to include those normally non-used pixels. My guess is that is what you are seeing. I bet the in-camera Jpegs are the smaller (default) size. I am inlcined to take the extra pixels (at least on the current Fuji)as some libraries want 4900+pixel on longest side which means Fuji default is just a bit tight.

I first noticed this happening years ago with C1 and Canon EOS-1Ds and more especially with my current 1Ds3. So whilst it may be used to give scope for in-camera conversions for lens profiles I don't think that is the case with raw, the Canons, at least, predate built in lens correction.

Just did the calculation: Ninja is producing a 16.3Mpixel image (Fuji spec) , LR 16Mpixel and C1Pro 17.4Mpixel (5191 x 3354)

Thanks Sung & Martin,

From what I'm hearing also is that you can't turn off all the lens corrections in ACR & LR,  so it seems I'm stuck with an artificially small RAW file if I stick to Adobe.

Seems to have opened a real can of worms !

Gary

The thought struck me this morning that it could also be for the demosaicing of the raw sensor data. The Trans X sensor may need to sample more pixels around each pixel to get the cell colour. That way you could get demosaicing artifacts at the edges (false colour?) where you don't have cells surrounding the pixel on all sides.

Thanks Sung & Martin,

From what I'm hearing also is that you can't turn off all the lens corrections in ACR & LR,  so it seems I'm stuck with an artificially small RAW file if I stick to Adobe.

Seems to have opened a real can of worms !

Gary

Hi Gary

You can turn off the lens corrections if you want in LR (and also in ACR).  

In LR, go into Develop Module (by pressing 'D') and 'Lens Correction' on the righthand panel, where you can untick 'Enable Profile Corrections'.  See what happens.

It is a similar exercise in ACR, too.

Hope it helps.

Sung

Thanks Sung,

I have already tried that, but I've since discovered it seems the image is already cropped as it is imported into LR/ACR - something to do with the Fuji's RAW files having image correction built in which Adobe processes automatically - Photo Ninja doesn't do that ..apparently.

Gary

Thanks Sung,

I have already tried that, but I've since discovered it seems the image is already cropped as it is imported into LR/ACR - something to do with the Fuji's RAW files having image correction built in which Adobe processes automatically - Photo Ninja doesn't do that ..apparently.

Gary

I see.  I have never used Fuji's RAW before so I didn't have any idea about that.   

I should have realised that 10000 images under your belt, my advice was rather too basic stuff. :)

Sung

I used to use RAW software from a company called Pixmantec. That was around 2004 or 2005, if I remember correctly. That software would eke out larger pixel dimensions than ACR. So this kind of thing has been happening for a long time.

Hi,

Gary

Same happens with Capture One. Only on lenses that require correction for specific focal lengths. Most of the primes have no extra pixels as the lenses are designed to correct distortion rather than relying on software corrections.

If you look at the zoom raws, you will find the extra pixels between 18-22mm I think,  maybe 24mm. This will be additional room required to resolve any distortion and maintain the 4896 x 3264 resolution . To be honest, the images look fine and I often take the extra resolution. The most I've seen it go to is about 5100px. As already mentioned, you never see these extra pixels in LR.

Thanks Sung,

Gary

I see.  I have never used Fuji's RAW before so I didn't have any idea about that.   

I should have realised that 10000 images under your belt, my advice was rather too basic stuff. :)

Sung

Any advice is helpful Sung,

I sometimes get stuck on the most simplest of things!

Gary

Archived