Monitor and Colorimeter

Finally I ordered a Eizo ColorEdge CS2731 (hardware calibration monitor) together with a Calibrite Display SL colorimeter from WEX.

Then I came across this comparison chart.  According to this chart (6th row), Display SL is NOT ‘Compatible with 3rd PartyHardware Calibration’.

Does this mean I made a wrong purchase with the colorimeter?

Please advise.

Thanks

Sung

Edited by SFL

I am not certain what it means but I presume it means you can't use the colorimeter with Eizo's own Color Navigator software. This may not be a big issue at all but I have always used Eizo's Color Navigator software in preference to the XRite software (XRite colorimeters are now under the Calibrite name) simply because it integrates very well with my monitor. Given the price of the monitor you might want to change to the HL which has 15% off at the moment (from a recent Wex marketing email). Wex will change it for you no problem. 

Thank you for your reply, MDM.

When you attach a colorimeter and launch it, do you mean that you have options to choose Eizo' Cooler Navigator instead of XRite's Profiler in order to go through RGB measuring process, etc?

A bit confusing....

Here's the list of compatible calibrators from Eizo.

AFAIK you need Color Navigator to store the profile in the monitor memory itself.

However there is a lot of obfuscation going on, like they would previously claim only the integrated sensor would be doing that. Probably so you would buy the CG in stead of the CS.

Is one better than the other? No idea, I have used both hardware and software calibration and never saw any difference.

The real difference with the Eizos is that when I see a darker patch in my image it's either in my image or in my eye, but not in my display, like with all the others.

Homogeneity of the screen is terrific. My eyes not so much.

wim

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SFL said:

Thank you for your reply, MDM.

When you attach a colorimeter and launch it, do you mean that you have options to choose Eizo' Cooler Navigator instead of XRite's Profiler in order to go through RGB measuring process, etc?

A bit confusing....

It's more like you start up the software you want to use and choose the colorimeter from there. If you don't use a colorimeter that is compatible with Color Navigator, you may not be able to store the profile in the monitor - not essential as it will still be stored in the OS but very handy if you want to attach the monitor to more than one computer. 

Edited by MDM

55 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Here's the list of compatible calibrators from Eizo.

AFAIK you need Color Navigator to store the profile in the monitor memory itself.

However there is a lot of obfuscation going on, like they would previously claim only the integrated sensor would be doing that. Probably so you would buy the CG in stead of the CS.

Is one better than the other? No idea, I have used both hardware and software calibration and never saw any difference.

The real difference with the Eizos is that when I see a darker patch in my image it's either in my image or in my eye, but not in my display, like with all the others.

Homogeneity of the screen is terrific. My eyes not so much.

wim

I'm pretty sure you need to use Color Navigator to store a profile in the monitor but you can definitely use an external profiler. The in-built calibrators have improved in terms of precision when compared with an external XRite profiler from when I got my first to my second Eizo monitor. And for sure - homogeneity across the screen is a key difference between Eizo and anything else I've used. Perfection. 

• Like 1

Thank you both.

Wim & MDM, I have a question, please.

With the current combination of mine, as long as I let a ICC file (is this correct term?) stored within the computer, ie by using XRite Profiler app, will it work?

Sung

2 hours ago, SFL said:

Thank you both.

Wim & MDM, I have a question, please.

With the current combination of mine, as long as I let a ICC file (is this correct term?) stored within the computer, ie by using XRite Profiler app, will it work?

Sung

Short answer is yes as far as I know and I don't see why not. However, I'm not an expert by any means - just a user talking from my own experience. The ArtIsRight YouTube channel is the place for really authoritative information on these profilers. How macOS handles colour management has changed over the years but the fundamentals remain the same.

If I were you, I would be upgrading to the Display Pro HL rather than the basic one, considering the small additional cost relative to the cost of the monitor, especially keeping in mind that they have a 15% discount right now. But that's me. I tend to find going for the most basic level often leaves me having to spend more later. For example, if you ever upgrade your Mac laptop to one with an XDR screen, you need the HL. 

Edited by MDM
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, MDM said:

Short answer is yes as far as I know and I don't see why not. However, I'm not an expert by any means - just a user talking from my own experience. The ArtIsRight YouTube channel is the place for really authoritative information on these profilers. How macOS handles colour management has changed over the years but the fundamentals remain the same.

If I were you, I would be upgrading to the Display Pro HL rather than the basic one, considering the small additional cost relative to the cost of the monitor, especially keeping in mind that they have a 15% discount right now. But that's me. I tend to find going for the most basic level often leaves me having to spend more later. For example, if you ever upgrade your Mac laptop to one with an XDR screen, you need the HL. 

Good advice.

wim

• Like 1

Thank you again, MDM & Wim.  Much appreciated.

I am going to take the more future proofing way.

Now need to read more about Color Navigator.

Sung