Why does Sony RX100 meet the requirement?

Hong

Question

Sorry for this rudimentary question. I am a newbie and have read a lot of comments here about Sony RX100.

According to Alamy’s rough guide to digital cameras, "Alamy recommend using cameras with four thirds sensors as a minimum requirement", Sony RX100's 1" sensor size is smaller than four-thirds. All the posts about RX100 I have read here do not suggest it has a sensor size issue. Is Sony RX100 an exception in this regard?

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, sb photos said:

That's why today in London I'll be shooting with D750's and F2.8 lenses to suit today's expected overcast light. The RX100 stays at home.

I would too. Sidenote, my wife's Fuji X100 VI arrived yesterday after a 3 month wait. After setting it up initially on a fairly basic level I must say that's a helluva 35mm camera. The Jpegs that come straight out of the camera (Velvia style in this case) are pretty much superb - indoors at around 800 ISO with barely any noise at all. All very impressive to both of us so far. 

Edited by Gervais Montacute
  • Like 4

Sounds great! I mentioned in another thread that I really love my X-T5. I still mainly shoot RAW and work with those but, really, the straight out of camera JPEGs are amazing. I like the film sims, too. If you haven't done it already, have a look at Pal2tech's channel. He's got a good setup video. And, if you and your wife like playing with film sim recipes, the Fuji X Weekly web site. 

• Like 1

On 20/05/2024 at 22:55, Mark Scheuern said:

Sounds great! I mentioned in another thread that I really love my X-T5. I still mainly shoot RAW and work with those but, really, the straight out of camera JPEGs are amazing. I like the film sims, too. If you haven't done it already, have a look at Pal2tech's channel. He's got a good setup video. And, if you and your wife like playing with film sim recipes, the Fuji X Weekly web site. 

It is a good one for sure. She has the Fuji X100 Mk 1 from new and that is still good for 12.3 MP. This latest iteration is 40 MP roughly, so cropping is going to be let's say easier. And yes the Jpeg film recipes ( think it comes with around 20 ) look good and are tremendous fun. She will almost exclusively shoot Jpegs. Photography is a fun thing to us. Anything that looks like it could go up on Alamy will probably do so kind of thing. I use an old Nikon D800 and a Leica Q3 and am almost jealous of this Fuji. Haha! Thanks for the heads up on the channel. Actually Leica have a thing called Leica Photos and you can download the same sort of Jpeg thing. I tend to stick to RAW though but set up for both.

• Like 1

Yep, the 40 MP is nice for cropping and still having a really good image. I bet the Q3 is great! I have a Q2 Monochrom and I like that a lot. And I agree about the fun approach. That's my take on it these days. Get out of the house, have some fun, and if I have anything I think is good for Alamy, upload it. 

• Like 1

On 24/05/2024 at 15:34, Mark Scheuern said:

Yep, the 40 MP is nice for cropping and still having a really good image. I bet the Q3 is great! I have a Q2 Monochrom and I like that a lot. And I agree about the fun approach. That's my take on it these days. Get out of the house, have some fun, and if I have anything I think is good for Alamy, upload it. 

The Q3 is great yes. What also looks good coming up soon around July is the new Leica D-Lux 8. Effective 17 MP with an equivalent 24 -75mm Summilux 1.7 to 2.8 zoom. Kind of like the Sony RX100 only faster. Small. Pocket size - that kind of thing. Looks ideal for people that do a lot of stock photography. And it's a Leica. 😊

• Like 1

Had a gorgeous day yesterday here in coastal MA and took a lot of pictures and videos with my RX100. Submitted the 3 initial photos finally. 🙏 Don't know when I will hear the rejection or approval. I did not use any of the beach photos because I thought the water may be tricky.

The video quality is simply amazing. Even the high zoom video of a flying red-tailed hawk came out good.

I doubted my V30 SD card's ability to handle 4K videos with this camera but it seems to be fine. I ordered a V60 Kingston Canvas React Plus SD card anyway and will use it for this camera.

• Love 1

In relation to the X100VI.....

I have had mine a few weeks now and have been using it quite a bit... here is a little mono photo essay I did using it in Cannes over the festival (during which I also shot many images on the camera in colour for distribution)...

• Love 3
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Julie Edwards said:

In relation to the X100VI.....

I have had mine a few weeks now and have been using it quite a bit... here is a little mono photo essay I did using it in Cannes over the festival (during which I also shot many images on the camera in colour for distribution)...

Wonderful Julie, thank you for sharing. They are really good. I imagine it feels like a freeing camera to use being on the smaller side and knowing you just have the one focal length. It’s so nice to work with that simplicity and have that image quality along with it.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Hong said:

Had a gorgeous day yesterday here in coastal MA and took a lot of pictures and videos with my RX100. Submitted the 3 initial photos finally. 🙏 Don't know when I will hear the rejection or approval. I did not use any of the beach photos because I thought the water may be tricky.

The video quality is simply amazing. Even the high zoom video of a flying red-tailed hawk came out good.

I doubted my V30 SD card's ability to handle 4K videos with this camera but it seems to be fine. I ordered a V60 Kingston Canvas React Plus SD card anyway and will use it for this camera.

Really glad you are enjoying the RX100 Hong. I have the RX100 VA. I’ve neglected mine of late but I should remember to always have it with me as it’s so easy to carry. Hope all goes well with your submissions.

• Love 1

I'm away next weekend taking my D750's, 3 lenses and MBP in a back pack. Even so my RX100 M7 will be in my pocket, as when my Nikons are in my back pack I can react quicker in many circumstances with just the RX100, especially in a crowd.

• Love 1

On 27/05/2024 at 09:16, Sally Robertson said:

Really glad you are enjoying the RX100 Hong. I have the RX100 VA. I’ve neglected mine of late but I should remember to always have it with me as it’s so easy to carry. Hope all goes well with your submissions.

Thank you, Sally. I received an email from Alamy this morning notifying me of the QC pass.

This is my first time commenting by clicking the "Quote" button. I did this earlier today with similar content but the comment has not been posted. I am trying this again to see if the luck is better.

• Love 1

On 29/05/2024 at 04:24, Hong said:

Thank you, Sally. I received an email from Alamy this morning notifying me of the QC pass.

This is my first time commenting by clicking the "Quote" button. I did this earlier today with similar content but the comment has not been posted. I am trying this again to see if the luck is better.

Hi Hong, yes your quote has worked. That's great you have passed QC. All the best going forward on your stock photography adventure.

• Love 1