How to pass QC quality control by Soft & Lack of Definition!?

Peerapat

Question

I using Photoshop 2022 with no editing and not using noise reduction at all, with 24 MP by Sony APSC, also click on the "Actual view" or "100%" like the Alamy tutorial "How to check images at 100%" on Youtube said, but still saying that "Soft & lack of definition" I've tried so many times after unfrozen but still saying the same. 
Some of images have been passed by just using Sony APSC or just a Canon 450D! but now failed over and over again... what should i do? Buy a full frame cameras with high megapixels then they will allow me to pass...? any suggestions from professional photographers please.... 

Thank you

Edited by Peerapat

9 answers to this question

First of all, don't buy any more gear! You'll just replicate whatever mistake you are making with less money in your pocket. It's also possible that "better" gear could amplify the problem. You need to isolate the mistake.

Second, bring in the scientific method! The cameras you mention should all do a great job if they're used properly. All cameras will fail if they're not. Make sure you're shooting raw, lowest ISO, Adobe 1998 Color Space, and on a tripod to start. Change one of these things at a time until you see improvement. Until you start testing, you just won't know. After you test, you'll be better than 99% of the photography world - no matter what camera you use.

And of course, many of the others here will offer to examine 100% crops of your images. Do this! 

• Like 2

I've licensed photos taken with a micro 4/3rd, APSC cameras, and full frame.   Other people have licensed photos with one inch sensors.  Lightroom Classic handles noise very well, as does the recent versions of Photoshop.

• Like 1

+1 on all the advice from Brian Yarvin 

I have a full frame and a crop sensor camera and only had one fail so far After that fail I went out shooting to see what I was doing wrong and had watched some You Tube videos too and occasionally used a tripod Not all my shots are brilliant and may have to shoot again and then upload the new ones 

Keep trying and practising you will get there in the end 

Difficult to answer without seeing a failed image or knowing how you're shooting. You are probably doing at least one of:

• camera shake due to ISO too low for ambient light so slow shutter speed
  • camera shake due to aperture too small for ambient light so slow shutter speed
  • camera shake due to how you hold the camera
  • missing your focus point by letting the camera choose the focus point

Seeing as you seem to be doing a lot of indoor shots, then use a tripod. Set a higher F number (i.e. F8, F11 ) if you want more of the subject to be in focus. Set a 2 or 5 second delay after you press the shutter release so there is no shaking of the camera when the shutter opens. Use the small spot focus setting on your camera and choose where you want the point of focus to be, don't just rely on the camera's auto focus on a wide setting, which may not pick the point you want to be in focus.

My first camera on here was an APS-C. Don't get more expensive gear (yet), good advice from Brian above.

Sorry to say this, but Alamy QC is not so hard to pass. Try looking at photo magazines and YouTube videos on basic shooting images and common errors.

Not sure what you mean by using Photoshop, but you're not editing. Maybe you mean no major edits, like removing objects? Minor editing, like correcting the white balance, lens corrections, straightening the horizon, removing dust spots etc. is expected.

Best of luck. I'm sure if you persevere with your shooting method and use YouTube and the Alamy Forum, you'll get there!

Steve

p.s. had a quick look at your portfolio, try shooting a more diverse range of subjects should help with sales

17 hours ago, Alexander Hogg said:

Would you use back button focus as well Some like this and others don't 

I did try it for a few weeks, but changed back. I don't shoot that many moving targets. There's a lot of videos in favour of it, here's a non-fan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1SEv6RLslQ&t=2s

Btw, did you see your image on P1 of the sold images thread for this month?

• Thanks 1

Wildlife photographers tend to like it. It helps to have large hands. For me it depended on exactly where the button is so I tended not to use it.

Paulette

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYCat said:

Wildlife photographers tend to like it. It helps to have large hands. For me it depended on exactly where the button is so I tended not to use it.

Paulette

Don't do a lot of wildlife but you do get used to it after a while