I would appreciate comments on my images.

Jim Peacock

more descriptive captions and accurate keywords work to your advantage. also, consider adding the names of businesses and where possible.

2R7W9DF

https://www.alamy.com/smoke-rising-from-the-stacks-of-a-paper-mill-in-florida-image555590603.html

it's the westrock paper mill, also the rock tenn facility. people searching for westrock paper mill might not see this photo because westrock is not in the caption/keywords, neither is "air pollution",  "sulfur dioxide emissions", "nitrogen oxide emission", "greenhouse gas", "climate change", "clean air act"

Edited by sooth
  • Love 1

Hi Jim,

I think your images look better overall.

Main comment, I started uploading about the same time as you joined. I work full time and I have lots of hobbies and manage to upload about 600 images a year. I see a positive trend with sales and income as my portfolio grows. So upload a lot more pictures to see results here!

+1 to what Sooth says above. Also, use British English spelling as well as American English, e.g. sulfur sulphur, color colour.

Captions are searchable by clients. Your captions are too short. Try to make use of all 150 letters available to you in the caption. You should include what you can see in the image and any extra wording to try to make an image more saleable, e.g.:

https://discussion.alamy.com/topic/16942-images-sold-in-august-2023/?do=findComment&comment=344625

Include the Latin as well as the common name of plants, insects and the location (including the country). Some helpful links:

https://www.alamy.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/Captions-and-Tags-checklist.pdf

https://www.alamy.com/blog/tips-for-your-captions-from-the-sales-team

https://www.alamy.com/blog/captions-and-tags

Three ancient stone spheres on display in front of the National Museum of Costa Rica in San José.

- Image ID: 2RX85MK

You have archaeology as a keyword - I'm assuming this is a modern sculpture/art exhibit. You also have 'petrosphere' as a keyword, what does that have to do with the image? If it is associated, then explain how in the caption or in the additional information.

I think you might have a bit of a blue colour cast to some of your images, so perhaps review your white balance, but it's not major.

Steve

Hi Steve: Thanks for your comments.

By the way those stone spheres are really old.  They were moved from their original location in southern Costa Rica  to the capital of San Jose.

It's a challenge for me to find images I think are good enough to submit to Alamy. I need to work harder!

Thanks again.

Jim

Teehee -- I guess the answer is no. 

Rijsttafel is a Dutch Indonesian selection of dishes. Oddly, when I was in Costa Rica doing a shoot for PanAm in the 1970s there were a number of restaurants that featured that feast. I've been to every country in Central and South America except Nicaragua and the Guanas. 

20 hours ago, Ed Rooney said:

Teehee -- I guess the answer is no. 

Rijsttafel is a Dutch Indonesian selection of dishes. Oddly, when I was in Costa Rica doing a shoot for PanAm in the 1970s there were a number of restaurants that featured that feast. I've been to every country in Central and South America except Nicaragua and the Guanas. 

Guyana discovered it has oil reserves and the economy grew by 25% last year.  It's got some of the same terrain as Venezuela.   Friend has been doing ecology work there.  It describes itself as a Co-operative Republic, so the US will be concerned about the oil falling into the wrong hands or something.  Friend said that national policy is that every family has enough land to grow at least enough food to feed the family.

Nicaragua is beautiful and has safer and less safe parts.  The US gets outmaneuvered by Ortega every ten years or so.   The country just sent a dozen priest out of prison and to the Vatican, who can keep them.   Bishop Alvarez has  not been ordered to leave by the Pope, so clings to his prison bars and his virtual martyrdom (one of my mental games is "And what would Stalin have Done?"  Alvarez is lucky that he didn't pull his stunts in a real nasty dictatorship).

The Chinese have improved the electric grid, delivered 250 buses that look a lot nicer than the Russian buses, and will be building some railroads, first one connecting Managua to Masaya and Granada, possibly further south.   Some Chinese showed up at Migracion applying for residency when I was renewing my residency card.   Some day in the future, we'll have more good Chinese restaurants. 

Don't know if you're up for traveling again, but everything the US State Department puts out about Nicaragua reflects the US's frustration with the political wits of Ortega even after three heart attacks and lupus.   Two in-laws believe everything bad about Nicaragua.   A brother is coming in November and plans to get himself up to Jinotega from Managua by taxi and bus without a helper coming down to meet him, so, yeah.   If that's uneventful, probably Managua's bus stations are safer than I imagine.

I was booked to fly into Managua on the morning of that devastating earthquake in 1972. That's why I've not been there. I never had any trouble with anyone in Central America. From Bogatar to BA was a different story. And I spent a week covering the war in El Salvador in the early '80s. Depressing. 

13 minutes ago, Jim Peacock said:

Hello Rebecca, I'm curious, do you live in Nicaragua full time?

Jim

Yes, I do.   I'm living in Jinotega up in the mountains.   I've  been here for over 13 years.  Photos of a range of things in my portfolio.

11 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

I was booked to fly into Managua on the morning of that devastating earthquake in 1972. That's why I've not been there. I never had any trouble with anyone in Central America. From Bogatar to BA was a different story. And I spent a week covering the war in El Salvador in the early '80s. Depressing. 

Things have definitely improved since then.