Alexa

geogphotos

Not aware of any licences through Alamy but high volume elsewhere.

I don't know anything about Alexa. How does it use or need images?

Is this sort of use a new potential for stock?

Thanks

Edited by geogphotos

Curious.

At my 'other place' every single new image uploaded gets snapped up for Amazon Alexa at a couple of cents a time.

My understanding is that Alexa is a voice/sound service so why the need for pics?

I know that the obvious answer is to ask 'the other place' and I have and I still don't know.

As already mentioned I wonder if this sort of er ...novel use...is the opening of a vast new ( very low fee!) market.

Maybe something to do with AI? Any hunch or inkling why they need images and if this images are copiable?

Edited by geogphotos

54 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Curious.

At my 'other place' every single new image uploaded gets snapped up for Amazon Alexa at a couple of cents a time.

My understanding is that Alexa is a voice/sound service so why the need for pics?

I know that the obvious answer is to ask 'the other place' and I have and I still don't know.

As already mentioned I wonder if this sort of er ...novel use...is the opening of a vast new ( very low fee!) market.

Maybe something to do with AI? Any hunch or inkling why they need images and if this images are copiable?

The Amazon Echo Show has a screen:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/all-new-echo-show-10-hd-smart-display-with-motion-and-alexa-charcoal/dp/B084P3KP2R/ref=asc_df_B084P3KP2R/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=463101828684&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=11556833331222421387&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046468&hvtargid=pla-1106927982663&psc=1&th=1&psc=1

29 minutes ago, StokeCreative said:

Many thanks. 

So presumably you can ask it to show a picture of XYZ and will it have it stored already licensed for use.

Doesn't look as though it could be copied for unauthorised use.

On 15/07/2023 at 06:41, geogphotos said:

I don't know anything about Alexa. How does it use or need images?

I asked Alexa this question a few minutes ago. She said she didn’t know, but wondered, instead, if I’d like to hear Lady in Red by Chris de Burgh…

• Love 1

I reported 800+ 5 cent licenses
few months ago, quite chuffed;
all Bogota Col recently uploaded;
but then dropped off & learned
big bulk was during a testing phase;
most recent report only 25+ Miami...

I've also noticed recently some bulk
"Apple Computer"...

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Isaac Greenberg said:
I reported 800+ 5 cent licenses
few months ago, quite chuffed;
all Bogota Col recently uploaded;
but then dropped off & learned
big bulk was during a testing phase;
most recent report only 25+ Miami...

I've also noticed recently some bulk
"Apple Computer"...

I notice it is nearly 100% of the most recently uploaded and every single one of them is taken along with a couple of older ones.

Also saw the Apple ones and again no idea what that is about. None this latest month reported. 

I have an Alexa Echo Show 10. As an experiment  I asked her to show me photographs of some different subjects and in most cases she simply gave me links to various websites (not stock site) who had pictures approximating to what I'd asked for. In some cases she couldn't find anything (no picture of Bolton town centre, for example).

I can't see anything to suggest that Amazon Alexa is licencing stock photographs to display in  its own right. It is only pointing to various websites who, presumably, have appropriately licenced images on their site in the normal course of their work.

I can only imagine the images you are receiving small licence fees for are for some kind of AI training, or for some yet to be announced future feature of Alexa.  

7 minutes ago, Joseph Clemson said:

I have an Alexa Echo Show 10. As an experiment  I asked her to show me photographs of some different subjects and in most cases she simply gave me links to various websites (not stock site) who had pictures approximating to what I'd asked for. In some cases she couldn't find anything (no picture of Bolton town centre, for example).

I can't see anything to suggest that Amazon Alexa is licencing stock photographs to display in  its own right. It is only pointing to various websites who, presumably, have appropriately licenced images on their site in the normal course of their work.

I can only imagine the images you are receiving small licence fees for are for some kind of AI training, or for some yet to be announced future feature of Alexa.  

Thanks Joseph. Perhaps that is what it is. It is curious that they only take the most recently uploaded ones - and take every single one of them. 

I only really raised this as a matter of potential interest as to what might be going on below the surface.