New sales for 10 cents

zone3

Question

Curious is anyone had these 10 cents royalty free sales which then alamy and a distributor takes 8 cents. How can I determine where they come from so I can avoid future stuff like that..I would rather not sell if at that price.thx

11 answers to this question

1 hour ago, zone3 said:

Curious is anyone had these 10 cents royalty free sales which then alamy and a distributor takes 8 cents. How can I determine where they come from so I can avoid future stuff like that..I would rather not sell if at that price.thx

You are one month late.  All changes have to be made in April to take yourself out of Novel Use and/or Distribution.  Cheap sales are quite often to China.

So next April, remove China and any other countries you don't want to include in your distribution sales. And take yourself out of Novel Use.  Sorry you have to wait a year to do this.

Jill

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zone3 said:

Frequently they're part of a intro deal with China.   Next April, decide what countries you don't want to license to.   China is a huge market and I can understand why Alamy is wooing it.

Posted about the same time as Jill's reply -- so, yeah.

Edited by Rebecca Ore
Jill anwered first
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, zone3 said:

Hi zone3

Try to contact customer service for contributors, complain about the issue and ask them to remove you from the Chinese market as you can do that manually only in April (you can also consider opting out from Novel).

If you focus on RM images - that should not really affect your normal performance. FYI, recently Alamy sent refunds for some of the China sales, I recovered $0.04 from 2 sales ;) 

Pav

Edited by Pav

Thank you for the all the answers. I did remove myself last month from Noval use and adjusted the countries I sell in so these probably were sold before that time. They were RF so they don't say where

Which countries seems to be the the worst..other than China?

thank you

There is a difference between a 10 cent sale and a zero cent sale, But it is hard to see with the naked eye. I removed China. They have no respect for fair commerce. They treated Australia very poorly, this also reflects on their business culture.

• Like 3
  • Dislike 1

The Chinese government has a close relationship with Chinese private companies in China. The Chinese government provides incentives and support for private companies, as well as regulates their activities. The government also plays a major role in the economy, providing guidance and direction for private companies. As a result, Chinese private companies often have close ties with the government, engaging in a mutually beneficial relationship.

Please note I said, "this also reflects on their business culture" You can sell your images for a few cents if you'd like to. I have taken my sales away from Chinese media. What other country can negotiate such a low price? Of course, this is an agreement between Alamy and the Chinese partner. This agreement was made possible because I ticked a box that allows for this type of agreement. I withdrew my support for negations with my images.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 1

Are you talking simply to talk? Do you know so little about Chinese business practices? How do you manage to inject 'conspiracy' into my thread? You can have your opinion, it is a democracy and free speech prevails. However, you have gone beyond an opinion and have not contributed to the conversation, you merely made an accusation about me. That is personal and very rude. You also assume that only one of my images is an issue. Clearly you have missed the point, I have removed China from my portfolio. You will also note I did not criticize Alamy for entering into agreements with China. They operated in their best interest, and I ticked the box that gave them permission to use my images. I have simply withdrawn that permission.

• Like 2
  • Dislike 2

As I am unable to discuss this with at a sensible level, I will not reply to your obviously pro-Chinese position. This thread has is being trolled by you. You inject yourself into my thread and then tell me to go away. Something very wrong with your logic. I simply had a remark about the 10 cent images, this is my experience and my knowledge about Chinese business practice. Instead of following the original thread about others experiencing very low returns attributed to China, you decided to troll me. Perhaps it's you that should go away. When sales to China, Editorial Website pop up, and they are for $0.02 this degrades my value as a photographer. I have 17 sales from $0.02 - $0.60 that is an average of $0.23 per image. If I remove the two top prices of $0.60 & $0.48 I have an average of $0.19 per image. I have my images exclusive on Alamy for a good reason and the reason is not $0.02. This brings the thread back on topic.

• Like 2