Zero views

ColPer

Question

New here, with only several dozen images 'for sale.' So hello there :)

Issue is my dashboard shows zero (as in nada, zilch, not one) views of any image. This despite having a third party search out images, click on them, etc. What have I done wrong?

Also, mindful of numerous threads about visibility, I took one image and filled in 48 keywords (all relevant) yet indicator still showing 'poor visibility.' Again, what have I done wrong? 

Thanx in advance 

14 answers to this question

View are only recorded from Alamy's selected customers. Alamy does this so that contributors can't drive up their rankings by viewing their own images (or getting friends to view them). Don't worry about discoverability - search the forum for "Discoverability" and you'll find out why.

You'll probably need a lot more than 40 images to get regular views from Alamy's selected customers.

Looking at some of your pictures I suggest including latin name of any animal or plant species and more location detail in your caption and tags.

Mark

22 hours ago, ColPer said:

Also, mindful of numerous threads about visibility, I took one image and filled in 48 keywords (all relevant) yet indicator still showing 'poor visibility.'

If you have 40 or more keywords, Alamy designates it as 'good' discoverability. However, don't worry about moving the line in Alamy Image Manager (AIM) to optimised (green) - we have collectively decided that this is not a good idea unless you really need that many keywords.

Don't spam keywords, it will affect your CTR rank. Your CTR rank (on your Dashboard) is a function of the number of times a client zooms (clicks on) one of your images versus the number of times your images appear in a client search, but are not zoomed.

CTR=Zooms/Views * 100

E.g. don't put sky, blue, clouds for every single outdoors picture you shoot. There is a tendency to try to put lots of keywords for your images to try to get them seen by clients. So they may well appear in searches, but if they're not zoomed by a client, your CTR rank will drop. Which means your images won't show as high up in client searches. You don't want your images to get buried in the 350 million images on Alamy.

32 minutes ago, Steve F said:

E.g. don't put sky, blue, clouds for every single outdoors picture you shoot. There is a tendency to try to put lots of keywords for your images to try to get them seen by clients. So they may well appear in searches, but if they're not zoomed by a client, your CTR rank will drop. Which means your images won't show as high up in client searches. You don't want your images to get buried in the 350 million images on Alamy.

I have a different take on including sunny day or blue sky in tags, based on the following logic.

If someone just searches for blue sky (for example), I'm unlikely to get a view because so many images are returned that mine will be buried so my CTR will be unaffected.

If however they search for location + blue sky (for example), my (hopefully) relevant images will appear with less competition. Travel editors often seem to prefer shots of locations when the weather is nice. That's my logic anyway. Possible benefit and little chance of damaging my CTR, or so I hope.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

I have a different take on including sunny day or blue sky in tags, based on the following logic.

If someone just searches for blue sky (for example), I'm unlikely to get a view because so many images are returned that mine will be buried so my CTR will be unaffected.

If however they search for location + blue sky (for example), my (hopefully) relevant images will appear with less competition. Travel editors often seem to prefer shots of locations when the weather is nice. That's my logic anyway. Possible benefit and little chance of damaging my CTR, or so I hope.

Mark

A word that's used in Alamy searches (140x last month according to AoA) is beautiful, so I include that sometimes too using the same logic, but it's very subjective judgement.

Mark

4 hours ago, Steve F said:

If you have 40 or more keywords, Alamy designates it as 'good' discoverability. However, don't worry about moving the line in Alamy Image Manager (AIM) to optimised (green) - we have collectively decided that this is not a good idea unless you really need that many keywords.

Don't spam keywords, it will affect your CTR rank. Your CTR rank (on your Dashboard) is a function of the number of times a client zooms (clicks on) one of your images versus the number of times your images appear in a client search, but are not zoomed.

CTR=Zooms/Views * 100

Thnx. I've followed the many threads about discoverability. I was more surprised at zero views, let alone getting to zooms and CTR's etc

• Like 1

Love your image of the double rainbow in Bermuda, and have a suggestion I've only seen two double rainbows in my rather long life, so I'd add "double rainbow" and not simply "rainbow view" as you have. I'd also use rainbow as a single tag.

In your photo of the dramatic sky over Toronto you have "skies" but not "sky" - you need the singular and plural when relevant. Also, what was causing that? I thought it was a fire at first until I clicked on the larger image. If you know what was causing the phenomena, I'd add that info to the caption (or in the additional info under the optional tab if it's too long for the caption) and add any relevant terms to the the keywords. I know Alamy picks out singe words from phrases but I'd include Ontario and Canada as separate keywords in case this ever changes. just my opinion. You have few enough tags that you could leave in "Ontario Canada" as a third tag

Your keywords seem generally spare and not spammy, which is very good, but think about what terms people might use to search for your photos and be sure to include them.

Also, have you gone into Alamy Image Manager and starred the most relevant 10 (or fewer) tags? This will give the most relevant tags more importance and could help you get views. With 40 images, however it could take a while, so keep uploading.

And welcome! 

9 hours ago, Marianne said:

Love your image of the double rainbow in Bermuda, and have a suggestion I've only seen two double rainbows in my rather long life, so I'd add "double rainbow" and not simply "rainbow view" as you have. I'd also use rainbow as a single tag.

In your photo of the dramatic sky over Toronto you have "skies" but not "sky" - you need the singular and plural when relevant. Also, what was causing that? I thought it was a fire at first until I clicked on the larger image. If you know what was causing the phenomena, I'd add that info to the caption (or in the additional info under the optional tab if it's too long for the caption) and add any relevant terms to the the keywords. I know Alamy picks out singe words from phrases but I'd include Ontario and Canada as separate keywords in case this ever changes. just my opinion. You have few enough tags that you could leave in "Ontario Canada" as a third tag

Your keywords seem generally spare and not spammy, which is very good, but think about what terms people might use to search for your photos and be sure to include them.

Also, have you gone into Alamy Image Manager and starred the most relevant 10 (or fewer) tags? This will give the most relevant tags more importance and could help you get views. With 40 images, however it could take a while, so keep uploading.

And welcome! 

Thank you so much for your kind feedback and suggestions, Marianne! 

28 minutes ago, Ognyan Yosifov said:

I'm going to have at least one zoom later today!!!

How do I know?

Well, I had a low $ website use license yesterday which always means it was zoomed on the day.

The higher-priced licenses come months (if ever) after being zoomed...

Told ya.

• Love 1