Today’s ‘films’ are nothing of the sort – so stop calling them that - John Boorman

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2023/mar/16/todays-films-are-nothing-of-the-sort-so-stop-calling-them-that?CMP=share_btn_tw

Alright, not really relevant to stock photography at all, but it's a good anecdote:

"For the finale of my 1974 film Zardoz, I wanted to shoot a scene of Sean Connery and Charlotte Rampling in which they age and die. This involved shooting with a fixed camera, so that we could take them out, age their clothes and faces, put them back in, shoot them a bit more, then take them out and age them further, until eventually they were skeletons that, in turn, crumbled away.

This process took an entire day. Then, the camera assistant unloaded the camera and accidentally exposed the film to the light. This meant we had to spend another whole day shooting it. I also had to restrain Connery from killing the assistant – who soon afterwards changed his name and moved to Los Angeles. I spied him in a cafe in LA one day. “Is Sean in town?” he asked, with a quivering voice."

The author wrote, "but the public has mounted not a whiff of protest."   There you have it. If the pubic who pays to see "films" "movies", whatever you want to call them, doesn't care what they are shot on, then it is irrelevant.  Maybe they should be called "Digies".

To be fair I think it's very much 'tongue in cheek', John Boorman is almost 90 now but has had an illustrious career as a director, writer and producer. 'Deliverance' was a film that's difficult to forget, and that was fifty years ago.