File size has gone weird

2 minutes ago, geogphotos said:

Maybe - could be because I am using Photoshop 2023 and I need to reset 8/16bit? 

If you start in RAW, it's in your defaults.

And Photoshop often has the habit of remembering it's last settings.

wim

If you're starting from RAW, it's worth keeping in 16 bit in PS if you intend to make further adjustments to exposure, shadows, highlights, contrast, colour or saturation. Keeping in 16 bit will reduce chance of banding and maintain smoother graduations in tone and colour. PS will automatically convert the data it puts into the jpg into 8 bit as a final step. NB. If working in 16 bit in PS and checking image size when resizing/cropping check the size reported by PS stays above 34MB.

Mark

Edited by M.Chapman

4 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

If you're starting from RAW, it's worth keeping in 16 bit in PS if you intend to make further adjustments to exposure, shadows, highlights, contrast, colour or saturation. Keeping in 16 bit will reduce chance of banding and maintain smoother graduations in tone and colour. PS will automatically convert the data it puts into the jpg into 8 bit as a final step. NB. If working in 16 bit in PS and checking image size when resizing/cropping check the size reported by PS stays above 34MB.

Mark

Everything Mark said. 😁

wim

1 hour ago, M.Chapman said:

Mark

Thanks Mark, 

I have always been aware of this but must admit to not having been putting it into practice. 

Oh well, after 80,000 images I better start doing things properly 😄