Uploading PNGs?

WaGi

Question

I wonder if just the webloader is limited to JPG files or if they do not get accepted at all when uploading the via FileZilla instead. But why such a platform does not support a lossless format? o.O

Greetings

4 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Mr Standfast said:

Alamy are marketing stock images, which by their nature are a finished product, jpeg is a cost effective way to do this.

Yet we are told not to sharpen etc because this is up to the client to do. I've always been conflicted by this (but I obey the rules) however I doubt 99% of clients do anything other than use the image as-is.

Being able to upload PNGs or TIFFs would be great in certain circumstances - all too often I've had a perfect photo end up with banding in the sky when exporting as JPEG. I end up having to desaturate it, upsize it and/or introduce artificial noise just to solve it, purely because the amount of data a JPEG can contain is limited.

5 hours ago, Cal said:

Yet we are told not to sharpen etc because this is up to the client to do. I've always been conflicted by this (but I obey the rules) however I doubt 99% of clients do anything other than use the image as-is.

Being able to upload PNGs or TIFFs would be great in certain circumstances - all too often I've had a perfect photo end up with banding in the sky when exporting as JPEG. I end up having to desaturate it, upsize it and/or introduce artificial noise just to solve it, purely because the amount of data a JPEG can contain is limited.

I don't often see banding in jpgs saved at high quality level (10 or more). But I do see it in lots of images on Alamy because they further compress our images (especially the thumbnails) which presumably they do to save storage space and speed up site operation. Storing TIFFs or PNGs would significantly increase the storage requirements. I'd be happy if Alamy just preserved images at the quality level we upload and also didn't convert all uploaded images to sRGB profile and then strip the profile.

Mark