Jump to content
  • 0

Illustration size


Paul B
 Share

Question

Hi all,

 

  I will be uploading my first set of illustrations shortly. Most are 3d but made in a friendly looking technical illustration look. I try not to make them look CG.

 

I render them at 900dpi TIFF's and then comp in photoshop and usually export as jpegs. My question is, with illustrations, do we have a lower limit on memory size per image? 

 

Thanks for your help

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
On 12/12/2022 at 12:42, Paul B said:

Hi all,

 

  I will be uploading my first set of illustrations shortly. Most are 3d but made in a friendly looking technical illustration look. I try not to make them look CG.

 

I render them at 900dpi TIFF's and then comp in photoshop and usually export as jpegs. My question is, with illustrations, do we have a lower limit on memory size per image? 

 

Thanks for your help

Hi Paul,

 

You obviously don't understand what dpi means - you mistake it with pixel count.

 

For illustrations you have to prepare EPS files:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-vectors/guidelines-for-submitting-vectors/?section=3

 

Your question about memory limit doesn't make any sense as that is irrelevant with vector files. From vector illustrations a designer can export files as big as 32000px in Photoshop, but that is again irrelevant as you can - if fact - print much bigger sizes rasterizing that in the printing software.

 

Pav

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Pav said:

Hi Paul,

 

You obviously don't understand what dpi means - you mistake it with pixel count.

 

For illustrations you have to prepare EPS files:

https://www.alamy.com/contributor/how-to-sell-vectors/guidelines-for-submitting-vectors/?section=3

 

Your question about memory limit doesn't make any sense as that is irrelevant with vector files. From vector illustrations a designer can export files as big as 32000px in Photoshop, but that is again irrelevant as you can - if fact - print much bigger sizes rasterizing that in the printing software.

 

Pav

 

Illustrations do not have to be vectors.  You can upload straight illustrations. 

 

DPI count doesn't matter when uploading digitally.  It only counts when the end user is printing the image, and they will set the dpi they wish to use when printing.  Most standard printing is done at 300 dpi.  If you image is at 900 it will print smaller than an image printed at 300 dpi.  I upload illustrations as pngs to other sites and they are usually around 12x12 at 300dpi.  That should be more than enough for quality printing.  900 dpi is overkill.

 

I may upload some of my illustrations on Alamy now that I think of it.

 

Jill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
On 12/12/2022 at 07:42, Paul B said:

Hi all,

 

  I will be uploading my first set of illustrations shortly. Most are 3d but made in a friendly looking technical illustration look. I try not to make them look CG.

 

I render them at 900dpi TIFF's and then comp in photoshop and usually export as jpegs. My question is, with illustrations, do we have a lower limit on memory size per image? 

 

Thanks for your help

 

I don't think there is a lower limit on jpgs as the size of the jpg is based on how much colour is in the image.  They can be small or large.  I couldn't find any specific instructions on illustrations, but as I mentioned, I do 12x12 which is 3600x3600 at 300dpi.  Allows for a fair wide variety of use.  I checked a few illustrations on Alamy and all seem to do the same, 300dpi at 3600 or larger.

 

Jill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0

Here's a recently accepted illustration I uploaded as a jpeg made in Photoshop - As Jill said, Illustrations do not need to be vectors. 

 

As Alamy notes in the FAQS: 

What file size do I need to upload?
A. We need a file size of over 17MB when uncompressed (this is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB). Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.

 

I'd note that this works out to the equivalent of a 6 Megapixel file since a 2000 x 3000 pixel file will be 17.2 MB uncompressed - the compressed size varies depending on how much info is in the file, but it's only the uncompressed size that counts. I find it's easy to keep in mind the 6MP target as it's simple enough to set up my illustrations by insuring they meet this height and width target. At 300 ppi that's a 7 x 10 inch file, not very large at all and easy enough. Like Jill, I usually make my illustrations larger than the minimum, but it's not necessary. At 900 ppi (pixels per inch - not dots) it's 2.22 x 3.33 inches! Files should be converted to 300 ppi for upload.

 

Also, you can't upload files that are too large. I have to downsize photos from my 61 MP Sony camera by either making them smaller or using more jpeg compression (which can lower quality) because the jpegs at level 12 generally exceed 50MB, the maximum size Alamy lets you upload. So, be sure you are not making your 3D renders so large you'll need to reduce either their size or their quality by compressing them more. 

 

 

happy-new-year-2023-in-white-and-green-w

 

While I'm here, Happy New Year to all!  😎 🎉

  • Love 1
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Marianne said:

Here's a recently accepted illustration I uploaded as a jpeg made in Photoshop - As Jill said, Illustrations do not need to be vectors. 

 

As Alamy notes in the FAQS: 

What file size do I need to upload?
A. We need a file size of over 17MB when uncompressed (this is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB). Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.

 

I'd note that this works out to the equivalent of a 6 Megapixel file since a 2000 x 3000 pixel file will be 17.2 MB uncompressed - the compressed size varies depending on how much info is in the file, but it's only the uncompressed size that counts. I find it's easy to keep in mind the 6MP target as it's simple enough to set up my illustrations by insuring they meet this height and width target. At 300 ppi that's a 7 x 10 inch file, not very large at all and easy enough. Like Jill, I usually make my illustrations larger than the minimum, but it's not necessary. At 900 ppi (pixels per inch - not dots) it's 2.22 x 3.33 inches! Files should be converted to 300 ppi for upload.

 

Also, you can't upload files that are too large. I have to downsize photos from my 61 MP Sony camera by either making them smaller or using more jpeg compression (which can lower quality) because the jpegs at level 12 generally exceed 50MB, the maximum size Alamy lets you upload. So, be sure you are not making your 3D renders so large you'll need to reduce either their size or their quality by compressing them more. 

 

 

happy-new-year-2023-in-white-and-green-w

 

While I'm here, Happy New Year to all!  😎 🎉

 

 

Where has Christmas gone already?

 

Oh! Yes! Happy New Year to you as well Marianne, and everyone else.

 

Allan

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
8 hours ago, Marianne said:

Here's a recently accepted illustration I uploaded as a jpeg made in Photoshop - As Jill said, Illustrations do not need to be vectors. 

 

As Alamy notes in the FAQS: 

What file size do I need to upload?
A. We need a file size of over 17MB when uncompressed (this is likely to have a compressed JPEG size of 3-5MB). Opening a JPEG in an image program such as Adobe Photoshop will show you the uncompressed (open) file size.

 

I'd note that this works out to the equivalent of a 6 Megapixel file since a 2000 x 3000 pixel file will be 17.2 MB uncompressed - the compressed size varies depending on how much info is in the file, but it's only the uncompressed size that counts. I find it's easy to keep in mind the 6MP target as it's simple enough to set up my illustrations by insuring they meet this height and width target. At 300 ppi that's a 7 x 10 inch file, not very large at all and easy enough. Like Jill, I usually make my illustrations larger than the minimum, but it's not necessary. At 900 ppi (pixels per inch - not dots) it's 2.22 x 3.33 inches! Files should be converted to 300 ppi for upload.

 

Also, you can't upload files that are too large. I have to downsize photos from my 61 MP Sony camera by either making them smaller or using more jpeg compression (which can lower quality) because the jpegs at level 12 generally exceed 50MB, the maximum size Alamy lets you upload. So, be sure you are not making your 3D renders so large you'll need to reduce either their size or their quality by compressing them more. 

 

 

happy-new-year-2023-in-white-and-green-w

 

While I'm here, Happy New Year to all!  😎 🎉

 

Marianne, have you had much luck with your illustrations?  I actually uploaded one yesterday, but mine are digital art of dogs (of course).  I wonder if they have any hope here, but since I have a lot, thought it might be worth a go. I checked out your port, and see you have uploaded some lately.  Have you been doing it for long?

 

Jill

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 0
5 hours ago, Jill Morgan said:

 

Marianne, have you had much luck with your illustrations?  I actually uploaded one yesterday, but mine are digital art of dogs (of course).  I wonder if they have any hope here, but since I have a lot, thought it might be worth a go. I checked out your port, and see you have uploaded some lately.  Have you been doing it for long?

 

Jill

 

I don't have many but Alamy has licensed a couple of my New Year's Eve illustrations in the past couple of years. I don't really think of Alamy as the place to license backgrounds and illustrations, but the market keeps changing so I figured I'd upload a few and see what happens. I'm very late with Christmas and New Years uploads, however, so it's probably not a good test.

 

A few years ago I uploaded some bunny rabbit illustrations for Easter in February and none sold, although Alamy licensed a photos of an Easter cake recently that I uploaded years ago, so perhaps I should be concentrating on spring illustrations now. With the cold dreary weather here in the northeast, it's something to work on, though I'd probably do better scanning my archive of old film and transparencies, which I've been working on organizing. Quite a job!

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.