Ultimate Collection

Chexy

When I search "Banff National Park" and under Creative, filter to the Ultimate collection, only 10 underwhelming images appear, 1 of them is supposedly of a lake in the UK (definitely not Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada). Another 2 are not Banff National Park either but rather, Yoho National Park in British Columbia.  A search for "Jasper National Park" Ultimate collection, brings up only 1 image and it is surprise, surprise, not actually in Jasper National Park. This collection has been released before it is fit for use and keyword spamming is being rewarded. Your customers and contributors deserve better.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Chexy said:

When I search "Banff National Park" and under Creative, filter to the Ultimate collection, only 10 underwhelming images appear, 1 of them is supposedly of a lake in the UK (definitely not Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada). Another 2 are not Banff National Park either but rather, Yoho National Park in British Columbia.  A search for "Jasper National Park" Ultimate collection, brings up only 1 image and it is surprise, surprise, not actually in Jasper National Park. This collection has been released before it is fit for use and keyword spamming is being rewarded. Your customers and contributors deserve better.

Have you checked whether the images appear on other agencies and have the same faulty keywords there as well?

Well for just 10 images I can easily see for myself of course. Let's go.

504 Gateway Time-out

And now my white screen has a purple tinge to it after staring at the new Alamy color. Yikes.

(Have you noticed btw that Alamy uses 2 different green colors on the same page? )

- Trying it 5 times.

Aha now it shows 57,833 images for Banff National Park

10 for Ultimate

1808 for Vital

55,945 for Uncut

70 for Foundation

and All results (57,833)

I click on See all Ultimate images for ‘banff national park’ and get 57,833 images. ???

All this with tab set to Creative and with Ultimate highlighted in blue.

OK did this for 10-15 times all with the same outcome, so it's not a glitch; it's a feature.

Come on I want to see those 10.

After checking the Editorial tab - 2,749 images

I click All images - 63,035 images

Now the Creative again and I do not click the See all Ultimate images for link but I click the Ultimate tab and I get the 10 images.

Did that take me 30 minutes?? It did; waiting times were quite long.

I don't think there is any client willing to jump through hoops for 10 minutes. 

Ok now let's look at those images. I have no idea what Banff National Park looks like.

I cannot click on the first image. I can click the second one. I cannot click on the third image. Refresh.

Now I can click the first image.

On #1

S32495.jpg

Sunrise, Canadian Rockies, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada - Image ID: S32495

Interesting a S* image on #1.

That's unlikely to appear on any other agency. From a collection of 6,352  S* images! But if it ever sold, no image search engines I use, have picked it up.

Most of the collection is from canada, so he/she will probably know his/her mountains.

On #2

2DJG2F7.jpg

Scenic View Of Lake And Mountains Against Sky

Image ID: 2DJG2F7

This one from the EYEEM agency.

Now as I said I don't know Banff, but I think we'll all recognize Bled in Slovenia here. (18000 images on Alamy.)

Which is not in the keywords, but Banff National Park is. And Kirkoswald too. (Hint: that's not in Germany.)

OK is this EYEEM's fault? Alamy's? or the Eyem contributor?

It appears on S*stock and A*be and Eyem itself of course and OMG it's on Unsplash under another name. So who nicked from whom?

It does appear online a couple of times, so it could have been sold. Or downloaded from Unsplash.

How well does EYEEM check their uploads? Or is it all just AI? Would AI pick up 10 pretty good panoramas from all over the world from someone in Asia with a couple of student images plus a couple of event pictures and some selfies? Hmm I don't think too highly of AI either, but this must be an easy one.

On #3

S2WC11.jpg

Here we have the S*o contributor of #1 again. He/she must either sell a whole lot or the curator is his/her girlfriend/boyfriend.

Lake Miniwanka Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada and Mount Rundle - Image ID: S2WC11

Lake Miniwanka will not be found because Google thinks the name is Minnewanka. (0 searches vs 8 searches in the rolling year. Banff National Park is included in only 33 searches for the rolling year.) No sales detected online btw.

On #4

2DPN2F6.jpg

Here we have EYEM again, but now from another contributor.  With 1.4k Photos on EYEEM. High quality stuff I may add. So this must be high concept.

Available on big G; A*e; S*k; EYEM itself of course and Mauritius, but that may well be the Alamy image itself because it has not loaded after 10 minutes. Still not loaded after 20 minutes: definitely Alamy. 30 minutes: still a rolling ball. 1 hour later ball still rolling.

Moraine Lake, the location is not in the caption nor in the keywords. Moraine Lake: 14 searches for the rolling year.

On#5

S1T8WE.jpg

This nice bright S*o image from a contributor with only 5 images on S*o. All from July or August 2017. Two only have one keyword: Stockimo. Plus the captions of course:

Stormy Skies & Country Roads; Summer Beauty -Daisy basks in the sunshine while quenching her thirst; and this one:

The Journey Begins - Image ID: S1T8WE

It looks very much like a trial upload to me. Has any of it been licensed? Who knows.

On #6

PPCTKD.jpg

This well keyworded drone image of lake Louise. From the CAVAN agency which has 502,778 images on Alamy

Of which all 502,778 are in Ultimate. And in Vital too.  And in Uncut. And yep in Foundation as well.

Have a look at their facebook videos.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to give you their address: They are an agency though I had never heard of them. I had noticed however that their images pop up really often in this whole campaign. Remember that salt joke? Well maybe this is some really good salt.

The image is by Ashley Cooper btw. This is his own library dedicated to Global warming. His work can be found in different collections on Alamy. However the site won't cooperate anymore. I may have overstayed my welcome. It repeatedly comes up with no results while just minutes ago it gave 28k images for that exact same search term and filter settings.

So I'll stop here. The next one at #7 is from our S*o contributor again.

There is something weird with last 3, because they are good and by the same Alamy contributor who has only a very small and tight collection on Alamy. Her website.

Let's hope she sells well here.

I give up.

wim

edit: in case anybody wondered if the lousy timings could be due to a fault on my end: my download 143.26 Mbps and my upload 121.55 Mbps. (fiber optic)

Edited by wiskerke
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, wiskerke said:

Have you checked whether the images appear on other agencies and have the same faulty keywords there as well?

504 Gateway Time-out

And now my white screen has a purple tinge to it after staring at the new Alamy color. Yikes.

(Have you noticed btw that Alamy uses 2 different green colors on the same page? )

- Trying it 5 times.

10 for Ultimate

1808 for Vital

55,945 for Uncut

70 for Foundation

and All results (57,833)

I click on See all Ultimate images for ‘banff national park’ and get 57,833 images. ???

OK did this for 10-15 times all with the same outcome, so it's not a glitch; it's a feature.

Now the Creative again and I do not click the See all Ultimate images for link but I click the Ultimate tab and I get the 10 images.

Ok now let's look at those images. I have no idea what Banff National Park looks like.

I cannot click on the first image. I can click the second one. I cannot click on the third image. Refresh.

On #1

S32495.jpg

Sunrise, Canadian Rockies, Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada - Image ID: S32495

That's unlikely to appear on any other agency. From a collection of 6,352  S* images! But if it ever sold, no image search engines I use, have picked it up.

Most of the collection is from canada, so he/she will probably know his/her mountains.

On #2

2DJG2F7.jpg

Now as I said I don't know Banff, but I think we'll all recognize Bled in Slovenia here. (18000 images on Alamy.)

Which is not in the keywords, but Banff National Park is. And Kirkoswald too. (Hint: that's not in Germany.)

It appears on S*stock and A*be and Eyem itself of course and OMG it's on Unsplash under another name. So who nicked from whom?

It does appear online a couple of times, so it could have been sold. Or downloaded from Unsplash.

How well does EYEEM check their uploads? Or is it all just AI? Would AI pick up 10 pretty good panoramas from all over the world from someone in Asia with a couple of student images plus a couple of event pictures and some selfies? Hmm I don't think too highly of AI either, but this must be an easy one.

On #3

S2WC11.jpg

Here we have the S*o contributor of #1 again. He/she must either sell a whole lot or the curator is his/her girlfriend/boyfriend.

Lake Miniwanka Banff National Park, Alberta, Canada and Mount Rundle - Image ID: S2WC11

Lake Miniwanka will not be found because Google thinks the name is Minnewanka. (0 searches vs 8 searches in the rolling year. Banff National Park is included in only 33 searches for the rolling year.) No sales detected online btw.

On #4

2DPN2F6.jpg

Here we have EYEM again, but now from another contributor.  With 1.4k Photos on EYEEM. High quality stuff I may add. So this must be high concept.

Available on big G; A*e; S*k; EYEM itself of course and Mauritius, but that may well be the Alamy image itself because it has not loaded after 10 minutes. Still not loaded after 20 minutes: definitely Alamy. 30 minutes: still a rolling ball. 1 hour later ball still rolling.

Moraine Lake, the location is not in the caption nor in the keywords. Moraine Lake: 14 searches for the rolling year.

On#5

S1T8WE.jpg

This nice bright S*o image from a contributor with only 5 images on S*o. All from July or August 2017. Two only have one keyword: Stockimo. Plus the captions of course:

Stormy Skies & Country Roads; Summer Beauty -Daisy basks in the sunshine while quenching her thirst; and this one:

It looks very much like a trial upload to me. Has any of it been licensed? Who knows.

On #6

PPCTKD.jpg

This well keyworded drone image of lake Louise. From the CAVAN agency which has 502,778 images on Alamy

Of which all 502,778 are in Ultimate. And in Vital too.  And in Uncut. And yep in Foundation as well.

For obvious reasons I'm not going to give you their address: They are an agency though I had never heard of them. I had noticed however that their images pop up really often in this whole campaign. Remember that salt joke? Well maybe this is some really good salt.

The image is by Ashley Cooper btw. This is his own library dedicated to Global warming. His work can be found in different collections on Alamy. However the site won't cooperate anymore. I may have overstayed my welcome. It repeatedly comes up with no results while just minutes ago it gave 28k images for that exact same search term and filter settings.

There is something weird with last 3, because they are good and by the same Alamy contributor who has only a very small and tight collection on Alamy. Her website.

I give up.

wim

Wim, you have confirmed what a farce this is ... and what a kick in the teeth to Alamy exclusives.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, wiskerke said:

Same bug that I logged in the 'New website layout' thread last Thursday, except I was searching in Vital. I wrote at the time that it must be easy to fix, a misdirect, and I think it must be given that manually switching tab headings corrects it.

From the CAVAN agency which has 502,778 images on Alamy

This can't be true, just the search engine giving up I suppose.

• Like 1

504 Gateway Time-out

- Trying it 5 times.

10 for Ultimate

1808 for Vital

55,945 for Uncut

70 for Foundation

and All results (57,833)

On #1

S32495.jpg

On #2

2DJG2F7.jpg

On #3

S2WC11.jpg

On #4

2DPN2F6.jpg

On#5

S1T8WE.jpg

On #6

PPCTKD.jpg

I give up.

wim

I hope you're sending Alamy a bill for all the time you've spent testing their very BETA release!!!

Phil

• Like 1

6 hours ago, wiskerke said:

From the CAVAN agency which has 502,778 images on Alamy

Of which all 502,778 are in Ultimate. And in Vital too

I see that if you click on the contributor name under an image the search applies a 'Same contributor' filter and yes, the system seems unable to separate them out into Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation when they are found this way even though these 'collections' are mutually exclusive. Searching another way gives this for 'Cavan Images':

All creative - 476363

Ultimate - 895

Vital - 172741

Foundation - 0

Editorial - 0

Clearly this isn't working correctly either but is it even worth reporting it to Alamy? It's as if they've left the building.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Harry Harrison said:

I see that if you click on the contributor name under an image the search applies a 'Same contributor' filter and yes, the system seems unable to separate them out into Ultimate, Vital, Uncut & Foundation when they are found this way even though these 'collections' are mutually exclusive. Searching another way gives this for 'Cavan Images':

All creative - 476363

Ultimate - 895

Vital - 172741

Foundation - 0

Editorial - 0

Clearly this isn't working correctly either but is it even worth reporting it to Alamy? It's as if they've left the building.

You also should be billing them for all your testing!

I find it totally absurd and completely unprofessional that Alamy are behaving in this manner.... it's as if they have pushed a self destruct button.

Phil