Cropping livenews photos?

I read somewhere we shouldn't crop them but leave that to the buyers. But they can look much better cropped. And if they are big to start with they upload quicker (on my connection) once they are smaller. What do people think?

I'll do a minor crop for compositional purposes. Such as to leave out a lampost, put a speaker onto a third, fix a wonky horizon, but no more. I think of it as the compositional equivalent of adjusting levels.

Ipsos guidance is that you must not be misleading or give distorting information. Clause 1 Accuracy states:

i) The Press must take care not to publish inaccurate, misleading or distorted information or images, including headlines not supported by the text.

G'night.

• Love 2

Alamy guidelines are not that specific 

"Your pictures should be an accurate and fair representation of the scene photographed. They should be in colour. Nothing should be added, removed or altered. Post production processes that alter the scene or manipulate the photo are not allowed."

so as long as the crop does not alter or manipulate the photo it would appear fine.

looking at the LN feed coming from Agencies, Alamy does not seem to have any problems with cropped images, (or some photographers have really sophisticated camera that produce every image with different size really quickly  😏)

Edited by meanderingemu
  • Love 1