Lost my color labels in Lightroom Classic

I'll start by saying I managed to get them back. The secret was to go into editing the color labels and give them the names I originally gave them. Not quite as easy as it seemed since I couldn't remember what Red was called and whether it was Blue being creative and Purple being personal or vice versa. It took quite a while to find my way. I back up the catalog every time I quit so I went back to the last one and, alas, that didn't seem to solve the problem. Now I have written down the label names for the future. Good old pen and ink. So I wonder why this happened. When I opened the MacBook today there was a message that the Creative Cloud had been updated. I wonder if that was where the problem began. I have been amazingly slow to get comfortable with this new laptop and new version of Lightroom. Lots of other stuff goes on in my life and I don't often sit down to it. And almost every time there is something I have to sort out. So that makes me hesitate to get on that computer. I do my mail and the Forum on my old Air. I thought maybe I could get some clarity from you wonderful Forum people. As I said, the problem is solved but wonder if I had caused it somehow.

Paulette

Wish I could help but I didn't even know you could change the names of the color labels and I've been using LR since version 1.0 so I'm impressed! At this point I've memorized what I use different numbers of stars and colors to mean but it would've been nice to have labeled them myself. 

Adobe has lots of info online so a search for "the names of my color labels changed" could help you figure out what went wrong. Glad you resolved the issue. 

4 minutes ago, Marianne said:

Wish I could help but I didn't even know you could change the names of the color labels and I've been using LR since version 1.0 so I'm impressed! At this point I've memorized what I use different numbers of stars and colors to mean but it would've been nice to have labeled them myself. 

Adobe has lots of info online so a search for "the names of my color labels changed" could help you figure out what went wrong. Glad you resolved the issue. 

Probably better not to give them your own names. I would have been fine if the color names had just been the Red, Yellow, Green, Blue, Purple because they reverted to those names.. whatever the issue was.

Paulette

• Thanks 1

My troubles were not over after getting my color labels back. I was going through some images shot on the RX100 and a vertical was lying on its side so I was using the rotate arrows but they were very unresponsive. It took me many tries. Then there were some upside down verticals and I continued to struggle to get them right-side up. Then there were horizontals that were upside down. I know I was not holding the camera upside down. I decided to quit for the day in frustration. I did a back-up, of course, and did the long version with "optimize catalog". When the back-up window closed Lightroom did not shut down. I got the spinning beach ball and finally did a force quit. Of course, there were the little notices about sending a report to Apple. I said yes to that and quit for the day. I can't get back to it for a few days and I hope I will have a trouble-free experience then.

Paulette

For reference, your custom color labels are held nowadays in a preset located in your user library. This library is hidden by default but, to get to it, you hit the Go menu in the Finder while holding down the option (AKA alt) key, when an option for the Library will magically appear in the menu. Then click Application Support - Adobe- Lightroom - Label Sets. If you have never saved a Label Set and are coming from an old version of the OS and Lightroom, you may not have a custom label set but you can create one in Lightroom by hitting Metadata - Color Label Set - Edit and save a set which will be automatically saved into the above location. You can back up the file you have saved and replace it should it ever get messed up or you need the same label set on a different computer where you should copy it to the equivalent location. 

I don't know why your images are rotating incorrectly. Have you tried rotating them in the Develop Module rather than the Library (or vice versa). Strange performance from Lightroom might be because it is caching or creating previews. 

Edited by MDM

1 hour ago, MDM said:

create one in Lightroom by hitting Metadata - Color Label Set - Edit and save a set which will be automatically saved

That is what I did to get my old labels back. I had discovered that in the metadata of each image you can find the name of the label and that helped. I shut the computer down when I finished yesterday and I am hoping any issues will have settled by the time I get back to it. At least I will be able to tackle it with a fresh brain. The rotate arrows would eventually work but I had to hit them many times. Too frustrating after all I had done about the labels. Perhaps you are right about Lightroom being busy with something so not responding when I hit the rotate arrows. It would work only after many tries. Thanks for your help. Maybe when I open Lightroom again I'll let it alone for a while so it can finish. I was using a backup catalog. I shut the computer down so it will sit for a couple of days. I wonder why I lost the labels. Things had worked fine after the big move to the new computer.

Paulette

Edited by NYCat

All is well today. I did find I had upside down images in the entire first half of the folder. I was able to batch fix them so I figure I had created the problem at some point when I had everything selected and was hitting the rotate button. Now everything seems to be working!

Paulette