NEX-3/5 question

I've recently started shooting RAW+JPEG (rather than simply RAW) with my NEX-3, and I've noticed that the camera seems to be applying lens distortion correction to the JPEGs (but not to the RAW files) even though this is not an option with this model. Have any other NEX-3/5 users noticed this?

Hello John,

Yep i noticed that. Basically on every Nex depending on the lens. I have the 1.8 50 mm where the disortion is less then the 17-50 for example.

When i shoot Raw i have to adjust it manually to get to the same results as on JPEG.

Mirco

It was not an option when the camera was made, but I think you've got firmware updates installed which added recognition for specific lenses. Sony's own raw converter can also 'see' the lens identity and apply the corrections without needing a profile.

I thought that might be the case because I do have the latest firmware update, and I use Sony lenses with this camera. The correction is minimal, but it is noticeable, There doesn't seem to be any CA correction being applied, though. Strange what goes on -- and what doesn't go on -- behind the scenes sometimes. 

Hello John,

Yep i noticed that. Basically on every Nex depending on the lens. I have the 1.8 50 mm where the disortion is less then the 17-50 for example.

When i shoot Raw i have to adjust it manually to get to the same results as on JPEG.

Mirco

Mirco, the first NEX cameras (NEX 3/5) didn't have in-camera llens corrections listed as options in their menus. I believe they were first added to the NEX 5n. That's why I found it odd. Also, I've only just started experimenting with RAW+JPEG.

Hello John,

Mirco

Mirco, the first NEX cameras (NEX 3/5) didn't have in-camera llens corrections listed as options in their menus. I believe they were first added to the NEX 5n. That's why I found it odd. Also, I've only just started experimenting with RAW+JPEG.

Thanks for your update John. I am indeed talking about Nex 5n and more. Sorry being to quick.

Mirco

Archived