Almost one year only one sale.

plehman4

Question

Hey there,  I'm still relatively new to Alamy, coming up on my one year mark in April.  I have only had 1 sale so far, not enough to even cash out yet.  Just wondering if anyone had some helpful advice.  I know I don't have very many pictures up yet compared to some of you (Less than 500) But I am not a full time photographer and between full time job and various health issues I just don't have the time to be as prolific as I would like to be.  That being said how can I leverage what I have to be more successful?  If my health holds up I want to do a lot more photography this summer.  Thanks.

3 answers to this question

You don't have a large portfolio, and the many images that are almost the same makes it effectively even smaller.

Also, you have very common, low sale subjects.  Flowers and sunsets are really hard to sell unless you can do something really special that hasn't already been done a thousand times.

With your limitations, you might try photographs of isolated objects.   This is something you can do at home, in the evenings.  Look for items that aren't common in the Alamy portfolio, and try to show them in a special way. 

Also, pick one, or maybe two of the best images of a set to upload, and leave the others out.  Buyers can become confused if they have to choose between several similar images.  You choose for them.

• Love 1

I suggest making your images more likely to be found in a search. I only looked at the first page and "Butterfly on a yellow flower" looked very inadequate to me. Looking at tags shows me more but the caption should contain name and scientific name of the butterfly and flower as well as (possibly) where it was taken in case someone is doing an article on that area. The sandhill crane images are rather dark to my eye but that could be a personal preference. Remember that people will be looking at a page of images and you want yours to stand out.

Many very nice images in your port.

Paulette

Agree with everything Paulette has said including images appear to be on the dark side.  To catch the buyers eye images need to pop. Don't forget that buyers are looking a pages of small images to find the one they want and if yours does not stand out by being too dark they will pass over it.

Allan

• Like 1