Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy

I currently have a rider on my house/car insurance policy that includes my camera equipment (only costs me $160/yr).  My house/car insurer recently called to say that they will not renew my policy unless I can give them evidence of a Commercial General Liability Insurance Policy.  Apparently their department only does residential insurance.

I'm still looking but so far I can get the above policy for a wedding photographer or portrait studio for about $750/yr.  But that's not what I do, and it doesn't cover getting sued by people for the images I take.  A policy for getting sued for the images runs about $1200/yr.  My home/car insurer doesn't seem to care what the policy actually includes.

Any experience with this sort of thing?  Any advice?  I'm in Toronto.

I'm not sure how it is in Canada, but in the U.S., I use Hill & Usher as my broker for insurance.  The general policy is as you state ~ $750 per year which covers equipment, liability, errors & omissions etc.  Last year I had a rider on the policy that included getting sued for image misuse - I had to cancel that second policy because for me, it was an additional $850 for $2 million in coverage.

I compared Hill & Usher to other policies out there (including PPA) and it is the most comprehensive policy you can get.

Well, it seems I'm not alone.  That's a lot for insurance for a "business" that produces less and less every year.  I wonder how many other stock photographers have such CGLI with or without the rider. 

Not sure why my insurance company caught on now after 10 years.

Archived