How do I get PA News to say I work for them?

Klinger

Question

4 answers to this question

The short answer is you can't. You do not work for them.

This is "an assignment" label is way for the venue to keep out the riff raff. 

Lots of news photographers are freelance and cover events without being assigned by an employer. Learning how to get access is just another of the soft skills a photographer learns.

I approach venues with a professional email saying who I am and what I am interested in.  I say that my pictures are distributed locally and globally by Alamy and link to the website.

I ask if there is a slot on a press day or a convenient time to visit, whichever is the best fit.

If relevent I provide a link to published work. I am also insured for public liability.

If a press office can see a benefit of letting you in they will.

Good Luck and stay safe.

• Like 2

On 26/08/2021 at 16:49, Mr Standfast said:

The short answer is you can't. You do not work for them.

This is "an assignment" label is way for the venue to keep out the riff raff. 

Lots of news photographers are freelance and cover events without being assigned by an employer. Learning how to get access is just another of the soft skills a photographer learns.

I approach venues with a professional email saying who I am and what I am interested in.  I say that my pictures are distributed locally and globally by Alamy and link to the website.

I ask if there is a slot on a press day or a convenient time to visit, whichever is the best fit.

If relevent I provide a link to published work. I am also insured for public liability.

If a press office can see a benefit of letting you in they will.

Good Luck and stay safe.

Correct, maybe I need to try the detailed, tear sheet approach. the problem is I was an approved photographer for 18 years at the same place and many others, before the last two years. Not like I'm popping in as a aspiring media stringer. 😀

On 02/09/2021 at 08:28, Reyern said:

Many years ago I got some letters from Alamy stating I was on assigment for them for some events needing it

Worth it for me to try again. I wrote to Alamy recently, asking if I could get some sort of letter saying I provided photos for them, and got no reply.

• Thanks 1