Marketing?

Marco McGinty

Question

I recently sold a single image for marketing purposes (Usage: Marketing package - Large business, Use in marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising). This package is for marketing campaigns promoting businesses which have more than 10 employees.), however Copytrack has found that this image has been used by the company in a press release. The images never have a copyright notice attached, but sometimes the image is credited to the company, and not Alamy or myself.

Is the company allowed to do this?

• Like 1

4 answers to this question

11 hours ago, Marco McGinty said:

I recently sold a single image for marketing purposes (Usage: Marketing package - Large business, Use in marketing materials, worldwide for 5 years (excludes advertising). This package is for marketing campaigns promoting businesses which have more than 10 employees.), however Copytrack has found that this image has been used by the company in a press release. The images never have a copyright notice attached, but sometimes the image is credited to the company, and not Alamy or myself.

Is the company allowed to do this?

IMO yes. I would say a press release is well within the scope of a marketing licence and you waive moral rights as per contract. That includes rights of attribution.

It's not saying much, but these are among the best paying uses nowadays.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Thanks 1

On 24/05/2021 at 10:03, spacecadet said:

IMO yes. I would say a press release is well within the scope of a marketing licence and you waive moral rights as per contract. That includes rights of attribution.

It's not saying much, but these are among the best paying uses nowadays.

Thanks for that. I was a bit concerned that by crediting themselves with the image, that they had taken "ownership" of it. It would have been nice to be credited, as it could lead to more sales, but I suppose I'll just need to put up with it!

11 hours ago, Marco McGinty said:

Thanks for that. I was a bit concerned that by crediting themselves with the image, that they had taken "ownership" of it. It would have been nice to be credited, as it could lead to more sales, but I suppose I'll just need to put up with it!

There is, as far as I am aware, nothing to stop you taking a screen shot of the press release and then using your own social media to publicise the usage   I do this all the time with newspaper usage of my photos.

• Love 1

2 hours ago, IanDavidson said:

There is, as far as I am aware, nothing to stop you taking a screen shot of the press release and then using your own social media to publicise the usage   I do this all the time with newspaper usage of my photos.

Well the company owns the copyright in the words, but a selective crop, of just the image and caption and a bit of the release to show context couldn't be objected to. It's what I do for my own "tearsheets".