License renewal

Homy

Question

Hi! I noticed that some of my images have been published and used months before the actual sales. My first image was published in 2 Dec 2015 so I was hoping for a license renewal but I noticed that the licensing period is registered as "Start: 01 March 2016 End: 01 March 2021". It means that they've got 3 free months. Is this common? The possible renewal should happen from 2 Dec 2020 and now that we’re in April nothing has still happened. Another strange thing is that the purchase date is 20 April 2016.

My second question is about license renewal. Does it usually happen automatically or do I have to keep track of my old sales? Not easy since we often don't find out where our images have been used.

My third question is also about the license period. I had a sale of KCXGXW, an image of Jenna Lee James used in The Sun. The sale information says

Usage: Editorial
Media: Newspaper - national
Print run: up to 2 million
Placement: Inside and online
Image Size: 1/4 page
Start: 01 May 2018
End: 02 May 2018
Any placement in paper and online. One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article.

I know that the image was used in the paper, hence the period of one day, but there is no license period for the usage online. The lifetime license for digital usage is for archive purpose. They have actually purchased the same image twice with the same description and have used it in paper and two online articles on two different dates:

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6219990/married-brendan-cole-tour-dancer/

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/6267949/brendan-cole-wife-orders-dump-jenna-lee-marriage-over/

I will contact Alamy too but wanted to hear your opinion on the subject.

Edited by Homy

6 answers to this question

If the licence has not been renewed then I assume they are no longer using the image. FWIW I have never had a licence renewal.

As to the second question, the online licence period IS specified - "for the lifetime of the article". This may also cover your first question.

5 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If the licence has not been renewed then I assume they are no longer using the image. FWIW I have never had a licence renewal.

As to the second question, the online licence period IS specified - "for the lifetime of the article". This may also cover your first question.

Thanks but as it says it's for archive rights, not publishing online as they have: "Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article."

You don't have to assume they're not using the image. As you can see in the link the article with my crane image is still online and active.

Edited by Homy

55 minutes ago, Homy said:

Thanks but as it says it's for archive rights, not publishing online as they have: "Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article."

What are "archive rights" if not to cover that? When you licence an image in a daily newspaper, every copy isn't burnt the next day. They still exist.

I don't think anyone expects their images to disappear from view the day after expiry of the licence.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

What are "archive rights" if not to cover that? When you licence an image in a daily newspaper, every copy isn't burnt the next day. They still exist.

I don't think anyone expects their images to disappear from view the day after expiry of the licence.

I think you're misunderstanding. This is the newspaper article called "Strictly bum dancing" and newspapers are digitalized for online reading for the subscribers or library visitors. The archive rights is for that purpose. The two articles I have linked to are not the same article in the newspaper. The license is for "One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication including archive rights for the lifetime of the article."

So as I understand the license is for the article called "Strictly bum dancing" in the paper, online or in archive, NOT for the two other online articles. I'll see what Alamy has to say. As I said they have actually purchased the same image twice with the same description so maybe the other purchase is for those two online articles but in that case it's strange that the license is again for "One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication including archive rights for the lifetime of the article." and not for 5 years as it usually is. Other news articles that use my images have a license for 5 years , not on day.

Edited by Homy

11 minutes ago, Homy said:

I think you're misunderstanding. This is the newspaper article called "Strictly bum dancing" and newspapers are digitalized for online reading for the subscribers or library visitors. The archive rights is for that purpose. The two articles I have linked to are not the same article in the newspaper. The license is for "One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication including archive rights for the lifetime of the article."

So as I understand the license is for the article called "Strictly bum dancing" in the paper, online or in archive, NOT for the two other online articles. I'll see what Alamy has to say.

wouldn't that be an additional use and require a new license, not a renewal?

6 minutes ago, meanderingemu said:

wouldn't that be an additional use and require a new license, not a renewal?

Yes, that's what I mean. As I said they have actually purchased the same image twice with the same description so maybe the other purchase is for those two online articles but in that case it's strange that the license is again for "One use in a single editorial article used within the print and digital versions of a single publication including archive rights for the lifetime of the article." and not for 5 years as it usually is. Other news articles that use my images have a license for 5 years , not on day. The renewal regards the first article with the crane image.

Edited by Homy