Jump to content

Need a little help please on my portfolio


Recommended Posts

On 29/03/2021 at 01:47, Betty LaRue said:

One of the things that could help your images is developing your software skills. Some of your skies have that dull or muddy blue I recognized in my own images when I started out.  Clicking on a true white, or gray, or black in the white balance panel does remarkable things in PS or LR.  A lot of the time, clicking on “auto” in the develop panel will do it.
 

An example of how great lighting can make an image.
I took this just outside of the city I lived in.  There are several things of interest. This lake is the water source supply for Oklahoma City. Then there is the lady exercising on the levee between the lake and a river.  Then the bench next to a running/walking/biking trail. Then there is an interesting sunspot between the trees. Has it licensed?  NO!

Do I think it’s worthy of licensing? Yes. If for nothing else, a spot in the local newspaper about the water supply or the trails.

I do have other images of people using the trails, but the lighting is what made me take this one.

 

H2N9HC.jpg
 

 

 

 

Thanks Betty for you input very kind of you.

I definitely think I have been lazy and just dumping images on here expecting results.

 

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you have several images with the title "Police on parade in New York". The uniforms are marked with the initials FDNY - I believe that this is not the police but actually the Fire Department of New York.

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 26/03/2021 at 09:54, stephen chatterton said:

Hi everyone been member since 2013 though this is my first post.

 

Rather than me putting loads of time in I thought I would ask where I am going wrong.

 

I key word but don't feel very good at this and may have over done this reading what has been said in the past.

 

Even the images may need to address. 

 

Any tips would really be Grateful 

 

Cheers Steve

Stephen,

 

I put loads of time into what I upload to Alamy as well.  You asked what you need to do?

My response is to edit (Select) your images carefully and for the images that you want to

upload, caption and keyword (it is one word) them very carefully.  You have been submitting

to Alamy for many less years than I and you have more images up?  I submit to Alamy under my

own name and a pseudonym (images that I think will license, but are not up to the standards I

have set for myself.)  I do not care about  my CRT, which stays around .75 and license just below

100 images per year.  

 

In my opinion: It is about the image and the information provided with the image.

 

During COVID I have stopped accepting commercial assignments and have been working on

the file images that I've had sitting on drives and as slides in boxes.  One of the images that I

would love to upload to Alamy is a wonderful image of a sculpture that I shot in Xi'an in 2006.

I Know where it was shot, when it was shot, but I can not find any reference to it, I.E, who the sculpture

was that created it, who in depicts.  To me without that information it is worthless on the editorial market.

 

My advice to you is as it has always been for the last 40 years.  Make better pictures, make better

selections and write better captions with better information.

 

Chuck

  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

In addition to what other people have said about exposure, editing and keywording, you might also like to think about making sure that horizons are level...

 

Old people retired getting fresh air sitting on bench Hythe looking over Southampton waters - Stock Image

 
Unless a horizon is slanted for obvious artistic intent, it just looks wrong. This one slopes from left to right.

 

  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/04/2021 at 16:07, Bob J said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you have several images with the title "Police on parade in New York". The uniforms are marked with the initials FDNY - I believe that this is not the police but actually the Fire Department of New York.

 

On 10/04/2021 at 16:07, Bob J said:

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but you have several images with the title "Police on parade in New York". The uniforms are marked with the initials FDNY - I believe that this is not the police but actually the Fire Department of New York.

Thanks Bob for looking I will check this out now.... 

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Matt Ashmore said:

In addition to what other people have said about exposure, editing and keywording, you might also like to think about making sure that horizons are level...

 

Old people retired getting fresh air sitting on bench Hythe looking over Southampton waters - Stock Image

 
Unless a horizon is slanted for obvious artistic intent, it just looks wrong. This one slopes from left to right.

 

Ah right thought i sorted this will check and double check this thanks for pointing it out to me...

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/04/2021 at 07:07, Chuck Nacke said:

Stephen,

 

I put loads of time into what I upload to Alamy as well.  You asked what you need to do?

My response is to edit (Select) your images carefully and for the images that you want to

upload, caption and keyword (it is one word) them very carefully.  You have been submitting

to Alamy for many less years than I and you have more images up?  I submit to Alamy under my

own name and a pseudonym (images that I think will license, but are not up to the standards I

have set for myself.)  I do not care about  my CRT, which stays around .75 and license just below

100 images per year.  

 

In my opinion: It is about the image and the information provided with the image.

 

During COVID I have stopped accepting commercial assignments and have been working on

the file images that I've had sitting on drives and as slides in boxes.  One of the images that I

would love to upload to Alamy is a wonderful image of a sculpture that I shot in Xi'an in 2006.

I Know where it was shot, when it was shot, but I can not find any reference to it, I.E, who the sculpture

was that created it, who in depicts.  To me without that information it is worthless on the editorial market.

 

My advice to you is as it has always been for the last 40 years.  Make better pictures, make better

selections and write better captions with better information.

 

Chuck

Hi Chuck this has been a big learning curve and I want to do it right as I can so I am grateful for the comments. 

 

It does surprise me what I have sold though and the prices are good when they do..

 

I just want to keep learning much as possible. Interesting you say about CRT which goes over my head a bit. Key wording as you say I need to take more care of and I propose as best as I can to be more selective rather than ditching loads on here. 

Thanks 

Steve

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stephen chatterton said:

Hi Chuck this has been a big learning curve and I want to do it right as I can so I am grateful for the comments. 

 

It does surprise me what I have sold though and the prices are good when they do..

 

I just want to keep learning much as possible. Interesting you say about CRT which goes over my head a bit. Key wording as you say I need to take more care of and I propose as best as I can to be more selective rather than ditching loads on here. 

Thanks 

Steve

 

It's sometimes surprising what sells. I sold a picture a a Katsu curry today which is the last image in my collection that I thought would sell.. lighting and editing not great and I would question nowadays whether I would even have bothered to upload it. So you never know..

Link to post
Share on other sites

Stephen, In your image 2EDR209 the cation IDs the scene calling it 'Tube' and 'Underground.' It's not London. It's New York (and New is not Nw). The caption should read that it's  the 42nd Street Station of the New York Subway System. If you must, put tube and underground in the tags.

 

And I haven't got a single image with 50 tags. 

 

Edited by Ed Rooney
  • Upvote 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/04/2021 at 20:44, Matt Ashmore said:

 

It's sometimes surprising what sells. I sold a picture a a Katsu curry today which is the last image in my collection that I thought would sell.. lighting and editing not great and I would question nowadays whether I would even have bothered to upload it. So you never know..

Matt it is surprising  though images in the right context I would guess and a little quality behind them.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 15/04/2021 at 21:11, Ed Rooney said:

Stephen, In your image 2EDR209 the cation IDs the scene calling it 'Tube' and 'Underground.' It's not London. It's New York (and New is not Nw). The caption should read that it's  the 42nd Street Station of the New York Subway System. If you must, put tube and underground in the tags.

 

And I haven't got a single image with 50 tags. 

 

Thanks Ed thats pretty poor of me I have to be careful in batching these and trying to save time in key wording which has created problems. I have been going through my sets to cull and work on  key words. Thanks for picking this up.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.