New SSD - Lightroom

^

^
     ^

Exactly why I only use LR for adjustments and not cataloguing. I can get myself into messes real easy, but I have trouble getting myself out of them. That’s the last thing I want to spend my time on...extricating myself from a mess. Or not being able to!

Good luck, Bryan. I know you’ll get to the bottom of it, because you’re persistent. Sorry to say, I don’t have the patience.

• Love 2

2 hours ago, Betty LaRue said:

^

^
     ^

Exactly why I only use LR for adjustments and not cataloguing. I can get myself into messes real easy, but I have trouble getting myself out of them. That’s the last thing I want to spend my time on...extricating myself from a mess. Or not being able to!

Good luck, Bryan. I know you’ll get to the bottom of it, because you’re persistent. Sorry to say, I don’t have the patience.

Thanks for the vote of confidence Betty !  I've spent most of today rebuilding my Lightroom catalogue, and I think that I have managed to include 90 odd percent of the raw files. My raw files are stored by date, year and month, while once upon a time, prior to Lightroom,  I also subdivided each month by location. That proved to be a major problem when it came to rebuilding the catalogue, as the routine that automatically finds the photos using the ? mentioned above, only appears to work within a single folder. 

You don't have to get embroiled in the intricacies of LR if you don't want to - you can just use it as a means of developing your photos, but I find it useful for generating keywords, while the dreaded catalogue feature does enable you to rapidly find any of your photos. I normally keyword and pre-process (exposure, colour balance, shadows, highlights, noise etc)  in LR then move over to my preferred cosy surroundings of PS with layers and accurate selection tools for more detailed work. 

Edited by Bryan

Meanwhile on iMac the quickest way to find images, or anything else for that matter, is through "FINDER".

Just saying.🙂

Allan

Edited by Allan Bell
spelling mistake
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Allan Bell said:

Meanwhile on iMac the quickest wat to find images, or anything else for that matter, is through "FINDER".

Just saying.🙂

Allan

Allan I think the problems encountered were due to Lightroom, rather than Windows. You can search for a filename in Explorer without any difficulty, but attaching those images to the Lightroom catalogue is another matter.

3 hours ago, Bryan said:

Allan I think the problems encountered were due to Lightroom, rather than Windows. You can search for a filename in Explorer without any difficulty, but attaching those images to the Lightroom catalogue is another matter.

Have you checked with the "Lightroom Queen" Victoria Bampton.

Allan

On 20/02/2021 at 15:26, Bryan said:

Thanks for the vote of confidence Betty !  I've spent most of today rebuilding my Lightroom catalogue, and I think that I have managed to include 90 odd percent of the raw files. My raw files are stored by date, year and month, while once upon a time, prior to Lightroom,  I also subdivided each month by location. That proved to be a major problem when it came to rebuilding the catalogue, as the routine that automatically finds the photos using the ? mentioned above, only appears to work within a single folder. 

You don't have to get embroiled in the intricacies of LR if you don't want to - you can just use it as a means of developing your photos, but I find it useful for generating keywords, while the dreaded catalogue feature does enable you to rapidly find any of your photos. I normally keyword and pre-process (exposure, colour balance, shadows, highlights, noise etc)  in LR then move over to my preferred cosy surroundings of PS with layers and accurate selection tools for more detailed work. 

I have set up templates in Bridge that give me keywords for often shot subjects. A bird? Click on the template and I apply all common keywords including scientific name. Then I add a few for anything different if necessary, like weather, or what the bird is perched on.

Just my own way to doing what you do in LR but without the ‘Betty’ land mines! :D 
I knew you would get it sorted.