Converting Lightroom 5/6 to Lightroom Classic

Russell

Question

I see there's a Black Friday deal on the Adobe LR subscription, and I'm wondering if it's time to take the plunge.

Anyone have any advice on the conversion from LR to LR Classic. I'll have a backup but I'd rather not screw up my entire portfolio.

Also does anyone know if the Alamy/LR bridge add-on still works?

Thanks in advance,

Russell

3 answers to this question

I see he says that Alamy-Lightroom Bridge works with CC Classic so that should be fine, last update seems to have been June 2019 though.

I haven't gone for the CC route but if I did I'm sure I would keep a full separate copy of my Lightoom catalogue and archive up to that point 'set in aspic' as it were, together with the installation files for whatever version you have, just in case. Once you go to CC your process version will be upgraded and it's not going to be easy to go back I think.  I once downloaded a CC trial and found it very frustrating trying to get rid of it again and go back to 6.14, may have just been me though.

As Harry says, kepep a complete full copy of your lightroom catalogue. Best to copy the entire folder and subfolders. That way, in the unlikely event of disaster, you won't loose anything including your previews which can take a long time to rebuild if you only have the catalogue backed up.

The current (June 2019) Alamy Lightroom Bridge definately runs fine in LR Classic. I don't think it's been updated for a while because Alamy haven't made any changes that have affected it since June 2019.

Lightroom Classic basically updates your catalogues.   Good practice is to always back up catalogue files and photo files regardless of what system you use.  The other thing to consider is changing all the photos on the working drive/folders to "current process." 

If you have a install image for LR 6.14, you might want to save it separately to a thumb drive or put it in a special folder.   LR Classic is just a continuation of the former stand alone LR, and isn't a big deal.   Don't install the current LR unless you want to store everything in Adobe's cloud.  In my experience, It doesn't play well with LR Classic.