DACS - accurate information please

geogphotos

6 hours ago, spacecadet said:

I quoted it in my post. It was sent on 20/6/16, shortly after the notification of the new contract terms. They came into force on 1/8/16. See my link.

I'm afraid I can't find that email. I have never received any mail from that sender (dacspayback@alamy.com).
Yes, I received the email about changing contract terms on 15/06/16 from memberservices@alamy-updates.com.
But I would suppose that without receiving and answering the email about DACS I should be opted out. Not sure if I opted in anytime before that (if possible) 🤔

Thanks, Mark

38 minutes ago, shearwater said:

I'm afraid I can't find that email. I have never received any mail from that sender (dacspayback@alamy.com).
Yes, I received the email about changing contract terms on 15/06/16 from memberservices@alamy-updates.com.
But I would suppose that without receiving and answering the email about DACS I should be opted out. Not sure if I opted in anytime before that (if possible) 🤔

Thanks, Mark

You didn't get it because you didn't opt out.

I specifically opted out by email in response to the impending contract changes on that date. Alamy didn't reply directly to the email but sent out a confirmation on the 20th, which is why I've only just found it in my outbox.

So unless you specifically opted out you are opted in and bound by the new contract.

46 minutes ago, PAL Media said:

I for one would like to see a new opt-out of this scheme

See above.

Edited by spacecadet

31 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

You didn't get it because you didn't opt out.

I specifically opted out by email in response to the impending contract changes on that date. Alamy didn't reply directly to the email but sent out a confirmation on the 20th, which is why I've only just found it in my outbox.

So unless you specifically opted out you are opted in and bound by the new contract.

See above.

Ahh, now I understand: you wrote Alamy to Opt you out specifically.

So I'm handtiered like many of us here...

Thanks, Mark

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, PAL Media said:

That's why I said 'new', I have only been uploading since 2017 so I didn't know anything about this.

Well, Alamy is making money out of this (since it's only costing £1 per claim, it's obviously very profitable) so I doubt it will give it up.

What continues to puzzle me is how Alamy manages to control image uses without collecting information about...er.... image uses.😚

Finding out about book and magazine titles and ISBN/ISSN numbers is described by Alamy as an expensive add-on activity for the DACS claim. I would have thought that it was integral to find this sort of data at the point of issuing a licence. How can Alamy investigate possible infringements otherwise?

Given that other agencies do have this information available it suggests that the Alamy system would benefit from some efficiency changes. Then they would not need to charge contributors 50% of their total DACS claim to get access to this basic information. 

Edited by geogphotos