Anyone have the Sony RX1camera?
I'm considering buying one. Also any Fuji x100s users use the Sony RX1? Comparison? Thoughts?

I love the thought of a full frame small compact camera

Linda

I'm considering buying one. Also any Fuji x100s users use the Sony RX1? Comparison? Thoughts?

Linda

Same here, would love to here from someone who has the RX1 and Nex 7 (with 24mm Zeiss) for a comparison! 

I have used the RX1 and Nex 7 and X100 (but not S which isn't officially here). I was using the RX1 at the same time as the Alpha 99, Nikon D600, Nikon D800 and Canon 6D. I can only say there is nothing else quite like it in terms of the lens and sensor combined. I was provided with both the optical and the EVF for the RX1. Interestingly enough, I found myself using the rear screen for composition nearly all the time despite having £1000 worth of finder aids. I had also recently bought an optical finder for my NEX-5n with 16mm; again, after a brief period of finding it a novelty, I have reverted to just using the rear screen.

I do not have the 24mm Zeiss but I have seen results and it's not in the same league.

The RX1 is quite amazing especially at ISO 6400 and f/2 for night/city scenes. I can't afford one though. I can't afford the A99 and D600 either and I'm afraid both those will probably be sold, my older cameras are perfectly adequate and the little RX100 is so good I now hardly even bother to use any other camera.

David

I have used the RX1 and Nex 7 and X100 (but not S which isn't officially here). I was using the RX1 at the same time as the Alpha 99, Nikon D600, Nikon D800 and Canon 6D. I can only say there is nothing else quite like it in terms of the lens and sensor combined. I was provided with both the optical and the EVF for the RX1. Interestingly enough, I found myself using the rear screen for composition nearly all the time despite having £1000 worth of finder aids. I had also recently bought an optical finder for my NEX-5n with 16mm; again, after a brief period of finding it a novelty, I have reverted to just using the rear screen.

I do not have the 24mm Zeiss but I have seen results and it's not in the same league.

The RX1 is quite amazing especially at ISO 6400 and f/2 for night/city scenes. I can't afford one though. I can't afford the A99 and D600 either and I'm afraid both those will probably be sold, my older cameras are perfectly adequate and the little RX100 is so good I now hardly even bother to use any other camera.

David

Thanks David, toying with the idea of selling the 24mm Zeiss and going for an RX1. Crop for longer FL's and stitch for wide angle views.

How did you find the screen in bright light?

My end goal is to have a high quality compact system Nex plus RX possibly, and to sell my Canon 5Dmkii, 100-400, 17-40, sigma 150mm macro and a couple of other lenses. That would more than enough to finance the new gear.

Call me weak but I pushed the BUY button before I read David's comments. Thephotos on 500px and Flickr swayed me.

I recently had the Fuji x100s. Mine was apparently defective soon after using so I will try and compare.

I was injured while leaving a photo shoot last week...I can't pick up my DSLR at all;too heavy and it hurts to use the mouse too.The lower palm of my hand, up my arm ,shoulder;my whole right side..ouch...

Some idiot left a brick outside of the huge public place I was at. Could not see it from the glass door as the frame obstructed it.

I went flying and fell...Next day spent the day getting everything x-rayed...Nothing broken luckily but still major pain;could have a sprain too.

L

The screen is a type which reflects daylight well. It's not perfect, but it worked well for me in midwinter. I have not had a chance to use the camera in glaringly bright conditions but I have little trouble with other Sony screens like the RX100 and A99 which are similar or 'worse' in daylight. The EVF is excellent.

As an additional point, although the accessory does not yet exist, the RX1 hot shoe has contacts to allow a GPS module to be added. I have Nikon's Coolpix A here at the moment (I really must send it back as the battery is dead and I already sent them the charger back - in error...) and this has a GPS-compatible socket in the side. I wish these camera all just had GPS built in. It has proved SO useful for Alamy. How else could I ever hope to know which small village in the Ounila valley of the Atlas mountains I was taking a shot near - and every other stop on a 4-hour drive?

David

"I have not had a chance to use the camera in glaringly bright conditions"  In Scotland, David? Are you okay?   :D 

I have the Sony Zeiss 24mm. It's twice the lens of any of my other NEX lenses are . . . and at only 4X the price. Besides a f/1.8 max f-stop and great sharpness, the view is a useful 36mm and it focuses to 6.5". 

Click on the people on the far side of the pond to see 100% blowup of the 24 f/1.8 at work:  http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-pond-ed-rooney.html

Call me weak but I pushed the BUY button before I read David's comments. Thephotos on 500px and Flickr swayed me.

I recently had the Fuji x100s. Mine was apparently defective soon after using so I will try and compare.

I was injured while leaving a photo shoot last week...I can't pick up my DSLR at all;too heavy and it hurts to use the mouse too.The lower palm of my hand, up my arm ,shoulder;my whole right side..ouch...

Some idiot left a brick outside of the huge public place I was at. Could not see it from the glass door as the frame obstructed it.

I went flying and fell...Next day spent the day getting everything x-rayed...Nothing broken luckily but still major pain;could have a sprain too.

L

That sounds nasty...... hopefully the new RX1 will help ease the pain.... apart from the bank balance anyway  :D

I'm very close to going for it as well, just looking for the best deal in the UK. 

The screen is a type which reflects daylight well. It's not perfect, but it worked well for me in midwinter. I have not had a chance to use the camera in glaringly bright conditions but I have little trouble with other Sony screens like the RX100 and A99 which are similar or 'worse' in daylight. The EVF is excellent.

As an additional point, although the accessory does not yet exist, the RX1 hot shoe has contacts to allow a GPS module to be added. I have Nikon's Coolpix A here at the moment (I really must send it back as the battery is dead and I already sent them the charger back - in error...) and this has a GPS-compatible socket in the side. I wish these camera all just had GPS built in. It has proved SO useful for Alamy. How else could I ever hope to know which small village in the Ounila valley of the Atlas mountains I was taking a shot near - and every other stop on a 4-hour drive?

David

Thanks David.... I would probably start off with the Camera on it's own then decide whether I want the EVF. I do like the one on the Nex 7.

GPS is very useful, I use an app on my phone (android) called Geotag Photos Pro. It records locations every 15 seconds (you can change the timing) and email the GPX to lightroom. Lightroom then applies the co-ordinates to each photo. I leave the app running all day and it hardly uses any power from the phone! It's a good alternative!

"I have not had a chance to use the camera in glaringly bright conditions"  In Scotland, David? Are you okay?   :D 

I have the Sony Zeiss 24mm. It's twice the lens of any of my other NEX lenses are . . . and at only 4X the price. Besides a f/1.8 max f-stop and great sharpness, the view is a useful 36mm and it focuses to 6.5". 

Click on the people on the far side of the pond to see 100% blowup of the 24 f/1.8 at work:  http://fineartamerica.com/featured/the-pond-ed-rooney.html

Stunning shot Ed.... it is a fantastic lens, as you say, the best they currently have for the Nex. I've had some real nice shots with mine. Just missing the higher ISO performance. 

Linda

I would not consider the RX1 at its current price point or anywhere near its current price point. You make a very good comparison in you OP though with the Fuji X100S.

The full frame thing is interesting but I have tried them both and its personal opinion but the I would take the X100S any time over the Sony. Just my opinion you understand.

The X100S is a great camera. 

The accessories for the RX1 cost wise are frankly absurd too. If the price goes to realistic levels then it may be worth looking at, but that will only be because something else has come out that's better.

Oh wait! It has. It's called the Fuji X100S. :)))

Nice shot of New York btw Ed!

L

What a bad deal, Linda. Please be careful to not overdo. I fell out of bed a couple of months ago (a first for me), and bruised my rib cage. It took a month to heal. 

Thanks for the comments on my Central Park image, people. 

Duncan, I can use the NEX-6 at ISO 1,600 and fix the noise in LR4. I could reduce it in CS5, too. 

L

What a bad deal, Linda. Please be careful to not overdo. I fell out of bed a couple of months ago (a first for me), and bruised my rib cage. It took a month to heal. 

Thanks for the comments on my Central Park image, people. 

Duncan, I can use the NEX-6 at ISO 1,600 and fix the noise in LR4. I could reduce it in CS5, too. 

Cheers Ed.... I took a look at a Nex 6 the other day, nice finish to them and there didn't appear to be any colour cast using a Voigtlander 12mm lens (tried mine on a nex 6 at the shop). I'm very hesitant about the RX1. I would like the quality but I feel I would miss the tilt screen the most for low angle shots.

I have about 8 weeks before I head off to Peru and if no 7n appears before hand I think I will pick up a Nex 6 Body as a second camera. I think I will end up with the 7n though rather than the RX1. I do like the 24mm and the new 18-200 is performing really well. These two lenses with the 12mm are the lenses I use the most so I will end up with the 18-200 on one body and one of the others on the second I think. And, I will have a fair bit of cash spare!

As of this morning, Alamy does not have the NEX-6 on its preferred camera list. I'm wondering why? They list the RX-1, RX-100, NEX-3, 5 and 7. No NEX-6. I could be very happy using the RX-1 or the RX-100, but I'm also content to stay with the NEX-3, 6 and 7 I have. 

Frankly, I'm scared to ask Alamy about this.  :mellow:

As of this morning, Alamy does not have the NEX-6 on its preferred camera list. I'm wondering why? They list the RX-1, RX-100, NEX-3, 5 and 7. No NEX-6. I could be very happy using the RX-1 or the RX-100, but I'm also content to stay with the NEX-3, 6 and 7 I have. 

Frankly, I'm scared to ask Alamy about this.  :mellow:

I can't imagine why they would take the Nex 6 off, can't be described as anything other than acceptable. Someone must have missed it off the list or deleted it in error. It has a better sensor and all round image quality when compared to the 3 & 5 and the RX100 I would imagine.... and, it out performs the 7 at higher ISO's as well with better autofocusing!

Well in the first 3 minutes of holding the Sony RX1 I fell in love..I took a few photos of my family member.Shutter is silent,screen is bright and vivid.Photo is sharp wide open and focused quickly indoors of subject sitting by window.Colors accurate too.

I was just shooting auto ISO and Aperture preferred at 2.0.

My arm is getting fatigued today,but hopefully soo n I'll be able to take it out.We've had high winds and rain today so it's staying inside.

L

Well in the first 3 minutes of holding the Sony RX1 I fell in love..I took a few photos of my family member.Shutter is silent,screen is bright and vivid.Photo is sharp wide open and focused quickly indoors of subject sitting by window.Colors accurate too.

My arm is getting fatigued today,but hopefully soo n I'll be able to take it out.

L

For £2500 for a fixed lens camera you would hope it was sharp and focused on just about anything with good colours. Especially with a 35mm Zeiss bolted onto it.   :D

I liked using it OK, but no viewfinder for me was a pain. I just prefered the X100S and the slightly more contrasty results.

But I'm glad to hear you like it and hope your arm gets better soon.

I find my Sony RX1 images more contrasty than the Fuji x100s. :-)

I love the feel of the Sony and I prefer an all black camera.

I had 2 Fuji x100 cameras before.SIlver and then the black Limited Edition.That camera was gorgeous and for some reason the photos were better than the earlier purchased x100 in silver.

Go figure!
L

I am not getting great focus with my Sony RX1 for some reason. Most of my images are tossable.Good light,steady hand...It's really hard to predict and very frustrating.

In addition,shooting RAW or jpeg the colors are too green and just not very pretty especially in mixed light.Fuji x100/x100s and any DSLR does a better job here.

L

I am not getting great focus with my Sony RX1 for some reason. Most of my images are tossable.Good light,steady hand...It's really hard to predict and very frustrating.

In addition,shooting RAW or jpeg the colors are too green and just not very pretty especially in mixed light.Fuji x100/x100s and any DSLR does a better job here.

L

With regards to the colour, it may be worth searching the internet for an improved colour profile.... infact, check out here, this guy creates the best ones.

Is the focusing a deal breaker? Are you able to return it if your not fully satisfied?

Focusing with the Nex 7 was a bit like this at times. I always had to double check the image to make sure it was ok. The other day, I picked up a Fuji X Pro1 to try out and while the autofocus is a little slower (not much though) than the Nex 7, it is far more accurate. Very happy with it.... so much so all my Nex gear is up for sale and selling all but a couple of studio lenses for the 5dmkii. 

• 1 month later...

I am in a position to try and use all these cameras on a daily basis and print large (30x20) inch and above to test them. The X100s is really nice, a definite step up from the X100 in picture quality. Prints very nice at 30x20 from a RAW and I would be pretty happy to have a print from my wall at this size with this combo. This is coming from a 5D3 user with all 'L' and Zeiss etc.

Ive had a few days with the RX1 this week also. All I can say is WOW. When its on, its ON. Printed very large its got incredible detail but best of all it retains almost the centre resolution right out to the edge. It also has that Zeiss depth to the image that I couldnt see with exactly the same shot and print size from the Fuji. For mine, the fuji may have the edge in AF but Id take the file quality anyday... If I could afford it....My 2c worth.... ;-)

Archived