Two flowers/shrubs from Shenandoah National Park

MizBrown

Question

2C63FM8.jpg

Detail.  July flower.  

2C63FF8.jpg

Shrub, flowering in early July, also Shenandoah National Park, northern Virginia.

Spent some time on Google and couldn't find them   Bottom looks like a Viburnum but  the leaves are opposite each other, which doesn't match Nannyberry.   More searching seems to have the second one as Sambucus canadensis, the black elderberry. 

Edited by MizBrown
ID to check on second photo

2 answers to this question

Sambucus canadensis is certainly listed in the National Parks database for Shenandoah so you could well be right on #2.

#1 I can't help with though something about it looks familiar.  It may come to me later.

Later:  I thought the flowers looked familiar.  It's a milkweed, Asclepias sp.  A. exaltata looks like it might fit the bill and that's also listed at Shenandoah.

Edited by John Richmond

3 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Sambucus canadensis is certainly listed in the National Parks database for Shenandoah so you could well be right on #2.

#1 I can't help with though something about it looks familiar.  It may come to me later.

Later:  I thought the flowers looked familiar.  It's a milkweed, Asclepias sp.  A. exaltata looks like it might fit the bill and that's also listed at Shenandoah.

Thanks ever so.   I have a less well focused picture of more of the plant and it's looks like you're right.  I'm more familiar with some other milkweeds, which tend to have colored flowers.