This one is hard - mosque in Saudi

I uploaded three of this mosque inside a fort but apart from knowing it was Saudi Arabia didn't know anything else.

The others are will be viewable through the blue link next update. No clues as yet.

I0000ti4.h7c.UL0.jpg

Edited by geogphotos

11 hours ago, pazmander said:

Qasr Ibrahim Mosque, Hofuf, Eastern Province, KSA. Renovated since this was taken.

Gareth

😁 🍎🥑🍉 No beer for this one!

Well done! It took me quite a while to find this. Have not added the full caption yet - uploaded before finding the answer.

There are three other historic pics (  system now updated) Two big ones - below. Then there is a small desert adobe house and compound which I assume is not famous.

Just noticed your location!

Do you have any idea about that prominent desert outcrop? 

Edited by geogphotos

1 hour ago, geogphotos said:

😁 🍎🥑🍉 No beer for this one!

Well done! It took me quite a while to find this. Have not added the full caption yet - uploaded before finding the answer.

There are three other historic pics (  system now updated) Two big ones - below. Then there is a small desert adobe house and compound which I assume is not famous.

Just noticed your location!

Do you have any idea about that prominent desert outcrop? 

The Saudi desert is littered with those outcrops. Do you know for sure that this one’s in Eastern Province?

BTW suggest you add Dhahran as a spelling.

Gareth

4 minutes ago, pazmander said:

The Saudi desert is littered with those outcrops. Do you know for sure that this one’s in Eastern Province?

BTW suggest you add Dhahran as a spelling.

Gareth

That is where the helicopter pilot was based so assume so - never mind if the outcrop is nothing special.  These were all date May 1979.

Dhahran as a tag for all of these?

I've been checking the two forts and am fairly sure that I have them now from the description on the UNESCO site

Very confusing with all the alternative spellings. 

2 hours ago, geogphotos said:

That is where the helicopter pilot was based so assume so - never mind if the outcrop is nothing special.  These were all date May 1979.

Dhahran as a tag for all of these?

I've been checking the two forts and am fairly sure that I have them now from the description on the UNESCO site

Very confusing with all the alternative spellings. 

Re the spelling ‘Dhahran’, I meant just where you’ve got ‘Dharhan’ in your captions. ‘Dhahran’ is the commonest spelling, I think. Confusing indeed. Personal names are the trickiest - especially Mohammed, which can be spelt in many ways. Maybe dozens.

Gareth

3 minutes ago, pazmander said:

Re the spelling ‘Dhahran’, I meant just where you’ve got ‘Dharhan’ in your captions. ‘Dhahran’ is the commonest spelling, I think. Confusing indeed. Personal names are the trickiest - especially Mohammed, which can be spelt in many ways. Maybe dozens.

Gareth

Thanks, my mistake.

9 minutes ago, Martin P Wilson said:

Hi Ian,

Captioning your acquired collection is providing a valuable lockdown activity. It seems sufficiently varied most people can find a role!

Thanks

Martin

I'm just hoping that you can all keep up the enthusiasm! 

This one is very easy 'cos it has its name on the side! Patricia

Was used on the Southampton to Bilbao crossing for many years.

From the overcast sky I'm guessing that this is Southampton rather than Bilbao.

The start of their trip and heading to the ferry!

I0000mrLfB6Rpy.k.jpg

Edited by geogphotos