Alamy and Alamy.es. Multilanguage work and other issues

Fipp

Question

Hi.
First, I tried to log in to alamy.es with my alamy.com account and was rejected. My question is, do I run security risks by having entered username and password there? Are they the same?

Another question is about jobs with text. If the text is in Spanish, what would be the methodology to follow and what is recommended to do so that works with Spanish text have visibility in Spanish speakers community? Upload images only to alamy.com and use labels in Spanish? o Register to alamy.es and share those works there?

5 answers to this question

Hi Fipp

You cannot log on or upload to any other site than Alamy.com.

Alamy has given the following guidance regarding keywording in a foreign language:

Q. Can I caption my images in another language (apart from English)?
A. No, although we license images with captions in multiple languages you should only caption them in English. We’ll translate them into other languages using a machine translation system. If you add your own translations it could confuse the system and lead to your images being demoted in the search results.

Hope it helps.

Gen

• Love 1

Thank you. That answers my question about labels and description of the imagen. But it is not clear to me about illustrations containing text within/inside the image. My intention is that for my illustrations/3D renders that contain text within the image, make two variants in English and Spanish. I would like to know if I am allowed to upload works that contain Spanish text within/inside the image, and how I could make them more visible in the Alamy.es community.
If I don't get a solution for it, I suppose I should stop uploading my works as exclusive to Alamy, in order to upload Spanish text versions on other sites that allow it.

I see what you're saying, you're caught in Catch 22.

Alamy will not forbid you per se to upload images including foreign words. There are tons of images of foreign signs in the database.

I imagine that you will want the Spanish text on your illustrations to be tags. Hence your problem. I don't know the answer.

• Love 1

9 hours ago, Fipp said:

Thank you. That answers my question about labels and description of the imagen. But it is not clear to me about illustrations containing text within/inside the image. My intention is that for my illustrations/3D renders that contain text within the image, make two variants in English and Spanish. I would like to know if I am allowed to upload works that contain Spanish text within/inside the image, and how I could make them more visible in the Alamy.es community.
If I don't get a solution for it, I suppose I should stop uploading my works as exclusive to Alamy, in order to upload Spanish text versions on other sites that allow it.

But Alamy.es will find your Spanish images in General.  The translation should ensure that, i would add KW of "in Spanish" "Spanish language" "written in Spanish"

I end up with many signs that have foreign language text in it.  If it's specific enough and their is a risk the translation will not be capturing what appears in image i have written the text in original language in Caption and, or KW and a few times resulted in being one of the rare results in searches.

Here is my usually example, i have a road sign in French "Chemin de Compostelle" (Way of St-James), if i only write the English equivalent, or even the prevalent Spanish name, this will not be found by people doing a search on Alamyimage.fr since as the translation of "Way of St-James" will only be a direct one "Chemin de St-James" (possibly Jacques), but not the term used by French people. So i have added the French exact text, and had a few search on .fr where i was one of only 10 results....

That said the same exist even within the English language.  I person in the USA would be doing a search for English words that might not be in your list in you wrote all in Queen's English. 

My personal policy has been the role of Caption and KW is to ensure that my image is found by all who might be looking for it, so if i need Foreign languages, not traditional spelling, words i will do so. 

• Love 1