Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
John Mitchell

Flowering shrub ID

Question

This yellow flowering shrub is quite common in gradens where I live. Does anyone know what it is? Thanks.

 

pink-ornamental-cherry-blossoms-in-full-

 

yellow-flowering-shrubbery-hedge-in-vanc

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

13 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Forsythia x intermedia. There are a few different varieties of this cross - Lynwood, Spectabilis and others and they all look similar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
18 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Forsythia x intermedia. There are a few different varieties of this cross - Lynwood, Spectabilis and others and they all look similar.

 

Thanks again, John. You truly are God's gift to the botanically challenged (like me). Is this plant also called "border forsythia'?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
32 minutes ago, John Mitchell said:

 

Thanks again, John. You truly are God's gift to the botanically challenged (like me). Is this plant also called "border forsythia'?

Probably - though it's not a term I've seen in the UK.  Local to you usage, maybe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 minutes ago, John Richmond said:

Probably - though it's not a term I've seen in the UK.  Local to you usage, maybe.

 

Thanks again. I'll check it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Here are a couple more spring flowering shrubs that I'd appreciate some help identifying.

 

This one is very common where I live.

 

closeup-of-a-white-flowering-shrub-in-sp

 

 

I'm pretty sure that these are azaleas. Correct?

 

closeup-of-a-flowering-shrub-in-spring-v

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Pieris japonica for the top one, John.  Evergreen azalea for the second one - can't tell you the exact cultivar, there are a lot of different reds, but it's certainly similar to 'Hinode Giri', one of the Karume hybrids.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
9 hours ago, John Richmond said:

Pieris japonica for the top one, John.  Evergreen azalea for the second one - can't tell you the exact cultivar, there are a lot of different reds, but it's certainly similar to 'Hinode Giri', one of the Karume hybrids.

 

Thanks once again, John. Had never heard of the first one. Bet you were amazed that I could recognize azaleas. 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Unfortunately, my botanical skills don't seem to be improving, so I'm in need of help again. Does anyone know what this pretty plant might be?

 

Thanks a bunch in advance.

 

closeup-of-yellow-flowering-shrub-in-spr

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
Euphorbia epithymoides, used to be Euphorbia polychroma - cushion spurge

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
1 minute ago, Clare Gainey said:
Euphorbia epithymoides, used to be Euphorbia polychroma - cushion spurge

 

 

Euphorbia epithymoides certainly is a mouthful. I would never have come up with that. Thanks very much.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

Unfortunately, my botanical skills don't seem to be improving, so I'm in need of help again. Does anyone know what this pretty plant might be?

 

Thanks a bunch in advance.

 

closeup-of-yellow-flowering-shrub-in-spr

Euphorbia polychroma, John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

The one with white flowers is Andromeda (Pieris japonica) and yes the one below that is Azalea. We have Forsythia and the other two in our yard. I always wish the yellow flowers of the forsythia would last all summer and not just through spring. Sorry I've never seen the last one with the yellow flowers but I'm sure someone more knowledgable here has.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Thanks again, everyone. I think I'm up-to-date on my flowering plants for the time being. You can bet that I'll be back soon, though...🤢

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.