Hola Y'all from Panama!

CSC

Greetings from a Southern (USA) expat in Panama (AKA an old gringo).

Years ago, during the film era, I was into photography. In the past year I've gotten back into it and significantly improved my skills & knowledge. The online resources now are amazing.

Photographic interests: macro, astral, landscape, nature, underwater...

Gear: Sony a6000, GoPro 4 Black...looking at upgrades now that I'm seriously getting  back into.

We are fortunate to live in the western highlands of Panama where I can see beautiful scenes every day from my own back yard even while in CV lock down mode. The attached was shot without leaving home. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1c97nela5hgv81m/Rainbow Over Baru 20191209.jpg?dl=0

Now to wait for moderator approval before posting more.

Edited by CSC

Welcome and good luck. The western highlands of Panama are indeed beautiful and rich in flora and fauna. I visited Boquete about 20 years ago and liked the area around there very much.

Edited by John Mitchell

Yes, it is a very beautiful area. We live in Volcan on the opposite side of Volcan Baru from Boquete.

Boquete has boomed since you were there last. Its now upscale expat heaven with gated communities. It baffles me why people move to another country just to live behind a wall. It is still a very nice place to visit though.

7 hours ago, CSC said:

Yes, it is a very beautiful area. We live in Volcan on the opposite side of Volcan Baru from Boquete.

Boquete has boomed since you were there last. Its now upscale expat heaven with gated communities. It baffles me why people move to another country just to live behind a wall. It is still a very nice place to visit though.

That doesn't surprise me. Panama seems to have gone out of its way to attract pensioners. This is what Boquete looked like when I visited in Jan. 2000.

the-misty-mountain-town-of-boquete-chiri

5 hours ago, CSC said:

It would be interesting to get a shot from the same view point today...should look very different.

I'm sure it would be quite different. The image I posted was captured from a roadside lookout on the road into town.

Edited by John Mitchell

I think Central America was sold to people who wanted cheaper but not really foreign.  We've got basically two gringo populations in Nicaragua: people who are here who live in Nicaraguan communities that don't have more than 20 to 40 foreigners; and people who require at least 100 other English-speakers around.  The gated communities in my department (equivalent to state or county in the US) basically failed or were run by out and out conmen.