Alamy withholds important information about buyers

Homy

Hi! Alamy's policy to not reveal any information about where my images have been published can actually make me lose income. In Sweden there is something called "Individuell reprografiersättning", directly translated "individual reprography compensation". The Swedish organisation Bildsupphovsrätt pays every year different kinds of extra compensation to photographers when their images have been used in media, in schools when copying newspapers or books, when a municipality, county council, church or public institution buys and shows your photos and etc.

I have sold several images to Swedish media through Alamy but I have always had to search like a detective to find out where my images been published. Many times I have no idea since many images don't show up in Google. I know Alamy doesn't want us to sell directly to their customers and therefore withholds the information but at the same time I can't report the usage of my images to be able to collect possible compensations. I haven't contacted Alamy about this issue but I'm not hopeful about any help in this matter.

No, Alamy won't tell us. It will cite confidentiality as a reason which is fair enough.

We have a UK scheme called DACS and Alamy will claim on your behalf for UK publications and take 50% plus expenses,  but many contributors do the claim themselves as it's quite straightforward. Sure, Alamy could claim for more images as they have the publisher information, but for most of us it wouldn't make up for the 50% deduction.

It's possible that since Alamy doesn't claim for you through Bildsupphovsrätt , they lose nothing by giving you the information you need, so you could ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Edited by spacecadet
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

No, Alamy won't tell us. It will cite confidentiality as a reason which is fair enough.

We have a UK scheme called DACS and Alamy will claim on your behalf for UK publications and take 50% plus expenses,  but many contributors do the claim themselves as it's quite straightforward. Sure, Alamy could claim for more images as they have the publisher information, but for most of us it wouldn't make up for the 50% deduction.

It's possible that since Alamy doesn't claim for you through Bildsupphovsrätt , they lose nothing by giving you the information you need, so you could ask, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Thanks! It seems to be the same service as the Swedish one. I wonder if foreign photographers can apply. I'll look into it more.

As spacecadet says, ask Contributor Relations. You have nothing to loose.

About this kind of services, like DACS and Bildsupphovsrätt, it would be nice to have a list of all organizations all over Europe (world too?), and to know the possibility to apply for foreign photographers. Is there any list in the forum or internet to consult?

Thank you and regards

• 5 months later...
On 29/02/2020 at 12:00, Homy said:

Thanks! It seems to be the same service as the Swedish one. I wonder if foreign photographers can apply. I'll look into it more.

I'm in the US.

In 2019 I received 2 DAC payments from Alamy.    One I assume for UK and the other payment indicated DAC Germany payment. 

I did nothing to apply.  Payments added to my Alamy balance automagically.