Sony NEX 6

I'm thinking of upgrading my NEX 3 to a NEX 6, partly because of the EVF and partly because of the better auto bracketing options - I like shooting HDR church interiors which involve three exposures at +2, 0 and -2 EV. However I read one review which suggested you had to keep the shutter button depressed for the three shots which might give camera shake problems even using a tripod with the long exposure required in dimly lit churches.

Any 6 shooter out there able to confirm this and if so are there any workarounds ?

Dave

Thanks David. I prefer to take 3 raw images and then process in Photomatix rather than rely on the camera. Would say an IR remote overcome the problem ?

Dave

David is yer man for this, and I've not used the auto bracketing in anger. However, as far as I can tell, the IR and auto bracketing functions are mutually exclusive, you can select one or the other from the camera set up menu.

Thanks Bryan, I think you are right. I've now found a loads of threads on the internet lamenting the fact that you can't choose remote and auto-bracket. There's also some very inventive DIY jobs using cut down flash brackets, old style cable releases and sticky-back plastic as a solution to the problem. The general feeling is that it's a pity Sony don't consult with photographers to find out what they want before introducing new models

Dave.

Dave, thinking about this a bit more, you could probably do what you want with the WIFI capability. I don't have a smartphone or tablet, but there is a free APP that allows you to control the camera remotely this way. I don't know if there any restrictions on the use, for example will it shoot raw files?

Hi Bryan,

I hadn't heard of this app so thanks for the tip off. However, from what I can make out, it hooks up to the camera via the remote option on the menu so effectively it disables the auto bracketing function. I think one workaround for my three shot requirement would be to take one shot per the meter, then set the exposure compensation to 2 stops under and 2 stops over for the second and third shots respectively. I think I might be able to do this via the app you have suggested which would be easier than fiddling around manually with the camera settings. I'll have to research this a bit more. Thanks anyway.

Dave

Archived