Idea on pricing if possible..

I have a new customer that requires me to photograph some product shots containing their own brands product, they didn't want the products shot over white as they wanted a warmer more fiendly feel so I shot some samples with natural materials as a backround to give them a nice feel.. they loved the results and my ideas, and now want me to price them for the job...

I have sold plenty of generic product shots through stock agencies in the past, so have not had to price them before.

There are 80 different products to be photographed in 3 different background setups which I can have delivered to me and shoot them in the comfort of  my own studio set up. ( there are also some other shots that have to be photographed at their own shop, which will be a bit more difficult to do so I will price them on how long I think they will take to do )

They will want full use of the images for use with their website and promotion material and product brochure,  But I will retain the copyright and be able to use them on my own website should I want to.

I didn't want to scare them off with a price that is to high  but there again I won't do the work for nothing as I am a proper business and have tax insurances etc to pay for along with all of the other overheads, I was thinking that £10.00 an image sounded about right, my question is am about right or am I miles out any advice would be greatfuly recieved ..

Many thanks Steve.

( sorry I cant post any of the sample images until the deal is done and dusted, or not done at all )

It is just 80 shots in total, the product sits in the centre of a background that I have created and fills the frame, I will convert the raw files to jpeg put them on disc and thats it... they did say that their web guy would just crop the image if needed.

£10 per shot sounds pretty good to me, is it 3 X 80 shots making a total of 240? or 80 with 1/3rd of each products on each background?

Just be careful about what they want ie, renaming files, cut outs, paths etc etc, that can add a lot of time to the job

I'm just quoting on a similarish job, but with clothing at the clients premises and was thinking about €10Euro/item.

So it seems to be more or less in the same ballpark allowing for the lower cost of living etc here.

Well done Steve - a tenner a shot seems quite reasonable as you have little post shoot work to do, and they are happy for you to use the stock material as well - a while back I had a number of packshots to do, and with a set already constructed it took about an hour and a half for 100 shots - mind you they are pretty tight buggers south of the downs.......mine agreed to a fiver a shot and all the birdseed I could eat (Pet Food Manufacturer !!!)

I'd say £10 per shot is fair but low. The last contract I saw and matched (for museum items) ran at £13.50 per image 6 megapixels. However I lost a contract in the early days of digital photography when an ABIPP (should have known better!) photographer quoted £2.50 per item, so you never can tell (they never got paid as their client went bankrupt, so glad I did not get a look in). It really depends on the state of the product. I find that my necessary studio shots of camera gear which I take for magazine reports are a nightmare; I use silk or surgical gloves to unpack, do not touch the gear until it has been through the studio, but still have to spend many minutes on every image removing microscopic particles of dust which digital photography reveals. I use microfibre cloths, an air blower etc, but when you are aiming 24 megapixels at a small part of a product you see stuff the naked eye can not detect.

I use an 80mm Hartblei tilt-shift lens to set up for distortion free, parallel sided studio shots otherwise the business of correcting the verticals/perspective of every item takes time as well.

DavidK - you are worth every bit of the suggested tenner - my shots of Fat Balls and Mealworms hardly compare with your techie material - I wore gloves, but to keep the grease off my fingers - so I was lucky to get half the minimum rate.  I usually find that packshots end up being taken by the company secretary on her holiday camera when it is for a one-off website - it is not just stock that is going to the hobbyist - that's the way of the world......

Thanks for the relpy and info Phil, I thought I was about right..

I'm just quoting on a similarish job, but with clothing at the clients premises and was thinking about €10Euro/item.

So it seems to be more or less in the same ballpark allowing for the lower cost of living etc here.

Thanks for the reply David if I get the job it is a similar thing to your pet food job but with the items are probably a lot smaller, oh yeah I know how tight the buggers are south of the downs as I have lived here long enough ;) mind you when I hear " we have spent most of the budget already" it doesn't inspire me with confidence.

Well done Steve - a tenner a shot seems quite reasonable as you have little post shoot work to do, and they are happy for you to use the stock material as well - a while back I had a number of packshots to do, and with a set already constructed it took about an hour and a half for 100 shots - mind you they are pretty tight buggers south of the downs.......mine agreed to a fiver a shot and all the birdseed I could eat (Pet Food Manufacturer !!!)

Thanks for the reply david, I think I will stick the price in at a tenner a shot and if it is to expensive then never mind.   I also  agree with what you say about " you can never tell " I have seen it many times sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worse.

luckily fingerprints don't seem to be a problem on the items in question,  and if they do I still have a draw full of cotton gloves that come out every time I develop a bit velvia 50 from my RB67.

I'd say £10 per shot is fair but low. The last contract I saw and matched (for museum items) ran at £13.50 per image 6 megapixels. However I lost a contract in the early days of digital photography when an ABIPP (should have known better!) photographer quoted £2.50 per item, so you never can tell (they never got paid as their client went bankrupt, so glad I did not get a look in). It really depends on the state of the product. I find that my necessary studio shots of camera gear which I take for magazine reports are a nightmare; I use silk or surgical gloves to unpack, do not touch the gear until it has been through the studio, but still have to spend many minutes on every image removing microscopic particles of dust which digital photography reveals. I use microfibre cloths, an air blower etc, but when you are aiming 24 megapixels at a small part of a product you see stuff the naked eye can not detect.

I use an 80mm Hartblei tilt-shift lens to set up for distortion free, parallel sided studio shots otherwise the business of correcting the verticals/perspective of every item takes time as well.

They have already tried the point and shoot aproach and it didnt quite work out as they wanted it to .

DavidK - you are worth every bit of the suggested tenner - my shots of Fat Balls and Mealworms hardly compare with your techie material - I wore gloves, but to keep the grease off my fingers - so I was lucky to get half the minimum rate.  I usually find that packshots end up being taken by the company secretary on her holiday camera when it is for a one-off website - it is not just stock that is going to the hobbyist - that's the way of the world......

Archived