First affiliate sale

KevinS

Question

Got my first affiliate sale the other day, and noticed that the split was different than when I last checked. 43.5% to Alamy, 13% to affiliate, leaving 43.5% to this contributor. Over the years I've endeavored to keep 50% of all sales when possible, so this scheme never appealed to me. There's no way to opt out, but at least it's closer to 50% than the 38.5% it used to be. From what I can tell, affiliate sales are rare, although Alamy states "Some of our top affiliates earn more than $4,500 a month". Anyone else getting this type of sale?

6 answers to this question

4 hours ago, David Pimborough said:

Yes had one or two in the last couple of months and even though its 43.50% the sales prices are very small.

I opted out of distributor sales because of the low amounts and poor payment record and I'd like an opt out of affiliate sales too.

You and me both. Not holding my breath.

I think its impossible for Alamy to Opt-in/Opt-Out individual images from affiliate schemes.

I use Quidco to get cashback on Online purchases

They have Alamy as one of their partners - so if I purchased any image from Alamy, I would receive 10% of the purchase price as cashback from Quidco.

I use it mainly to get cashback on travel - hotels, flights etc.

Of course - also useful for cashback on photography purchases - WEX and Canon are both offering Cashback through the site 🙂 (Check the terms as the rates vary from time to time)

https://www.quidco.com/raf/550972/

Jools

2 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

I think its impossible for Alamy to Opt-in/Opt-Out individual images from affiliate schemes.

I think you're right. Affiliate sales appear as direct sales because they are made "...through alamy.com". They way I read the contract, direct sales should pay the contributor 50%. As they are direct sales, alamy has no way of separating affiliate sales from direct sales. 

43 minutes ago, KevinS said:

They way I read the contract, direct sales should pay the contributor 50%.

I think we still get the 50% commission on Affiliate sales...... Its just that the 50% is calculated after the Affiliate has received their slice.....

So in the case of a £100 sale through Quidco

Sale Value - £100

Quidco - 10% - £10

Alamy - £90

The £90 that Alamy received is then split 50/50 with the contributor - So, £45 would be paid out to the photographer.

48 minutes ago, Jools Devon said:

I think we still get the 50% commission on Affiliate sales...... Its just that the 50% is calculated after the Affiliate has received their slice.....

So in the case of a £100 sale through Quidco

Sale Value - £100

Quidco - 10% - £10

Alamy - £90

The £90 that Alamy received is then split 50/50 with the contributor - So, £45 would be paid out to the photographer.

Understood, but my bottom line is 50% of the use fee. Alamy makes that impossible here. Not a big deal as the numbers are low, just the principle of the thing. Sally's sale reported above is encouraging and I'd take the money if I got such a sale. OTOH, I'd opt-out if possible. BTW, 13% is taken off the top, if I read the contract right.