Coming soon! Photoshop Object Selection Tool

12 minutes ago, Ed Rooney said:

That should/could do what I now do in the Nik Collection. I hope so. I'm still using the free version that is no longer free.

Thanks, Rico

I agree. Nik is a wonderful software.

If this new tool works as well as advertised, I plan to use it for replacing skies or backgrounds. Something Nik can't do

Select Subject has been in Photoshop CC for the last few years but as a menu command under the Select Menu along with Select Focus Area (can be very useful for skies). It sounds like this tool may add some additional features but maybe nothing that is not already there.

31 minutes ago, MDM said:

Select Subject has been in Photoshop CC for the last few years but as a menu command under the Select Menu along with Select Focus Area (can be very useful for skies). It sounds like this tool may add some additional features but maybe nothing that is not already there.

Hopefully this new tool works better than those ones. They always drove me crazy. (I know, I know).

Time will tell.

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Hopefully this new tool works better than those ones. They always drove me crazy. (I know, I know).

Time will tell.

Really! I find them incredibly useful. Are we talking about the same thing?

1 hour ago, MDM said:

Really! I find them incredibly useful. Are we talking about the same thing?

Yeah I think so. 

Focus area or subject select worked OK for large uncomplicated areas but for more detailed subjects, or similar hues, it was always a pain. Even with the refine edge brush.

It worked I guess, but on some images I just gave up. 

I'm  going to try it again when this new tool comes out. It looks pretty easy in the video😉

Edited by Rico

Thanks for posting this Rico. As others say, the select subject option has been there a while. I've never found it works too well to be honest, but maybe if what I'm selecting is very contrasted to the background, it works better. I usually find that using the quick mask selection tool does the best job and sometimes faster than using subject selection then correcting all the places where it isn't quite right.

I'm not sure a new tool like this is going to be of much use when we have various ways of selecting already, but we'll wait and see. I notice that Adobe's video shows them using extremely easy or "perfect" examples, so they aren't proving how capable the tool is. Besides, call me crazy, but I don't like the thought of these tasks being too easy! I enjoy the satisfaction of changing the background or cutting bits out, while retaining a realistic look that fools people.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cove Images said:

Thanks for posting this Rico. As others say, the select subject option has been there a while. I've never found it works too well to be honest, but maybe if what I'm selecting is very contrasted to the background, it works better. I usually find that using the quick mask selection tool does the best job and sometimes faster than using subject selection then correcting all the places where it isn't quite right.

I'm not sure a new tool like this is going to be of much use when we have various ways of selecting already, but we'll wait and see. I notice that Adobe's video shows them using extremely easy or "perfect" examples, so they aren't proving how capable the tool is. Besides, call me crazy, but I don't like the thought of these tasks being too easy! I enjoy the satisfaction of changing the background or cutting bits out, while retaining a realistic look that fools people.

You're welcome🙂

The part in the video that impressed me was the edge of the dog's hair in the close-up. That would have taken me a long time to do that.

Then I would have given up. AI is only getting better by the day.

• Like 1