Plant ID

Stokie

Question

These 2 sets of images were taken on St. Mary's Island, The Isles Scilly, England in May.

The first one was growing wild in a hedgerow next to the road. It was about 6ft - 8ft (2m - 2.5m ) tall.The yellow flowers of an unknown plant on St Mary's Island, Isles of Scilly, England, UK Stock PhotoThe yellow flowers of an unknown plant on St Mary's Island, Isles of Scilly, England, UK Stock Photo

The second was growing in a marsh (almost in water) on a nature reserve. This was about 1ft - 2ft (0.3m - 0.5m) tall.

An unknown plant on St Mary's Island, Isles of Scilly, England, UK - Stock ImageAn unknown plant on St Mary's Island, Isles of Scilly, England, UK - Stock Image

Sorry for the formatting, I tried to post larger images but failed miserably.

Hope someone can help.

John.

Edited by Stokie

7 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Brizbee said:

Hi John.

The first plant escapes me, but the second looks very much like Watercress (nasturtium officinale) early on in its flowering. Hope it gives you a starting point to do your own investigations.

Brian.

10 hours ago, John Richmond said:

First one is Fremontodendron californicum.

I agree with Brian on the second one.

Many thanks to both of you!

John.

I've got another query from the same set of images. Again, taken in the Scilly Isles in May. Probably about 2ft high.

Is it some sort of Laurel?

John.

an-unknow-plant-growing-on-st-agnes-island-isles-of-scilly-cornwall-england-uk-WXN0FR.jpg

Edited by Stokie

2 hours ago, Stokie said:

I've got another query from the same set of images. Again, taken in the Scilly Isles in May. Probably about 2ft high.

Is it some sort of Laurel?

John.

an-unknow-plant-growing-on-st-agnes-island-isles-of-scilly-cornwall-england-uk-WXN0FR.jpg

I think it's Coprosma repens, a New Zealand native.  If so, those are the male flowers on a male plant.

• Thanks 1

On 23/09/2019 at 21:31, John Richmond said:

I think it's Coprosma repens, a New Zealand native.  If so, those are the male flowers on a male plant.

I know I ask a lot about different plants, but I like to think I know quite a bit about the common ones, and if I don't know, I ask the other half and she knows about 10 times as much as me - but you sir, are in a different league! You are like a walking botanical encyclopedia!!!

Once again, many thanks!

John.