3D artwork and exclusivity (again)

John Mitchell

Question

I hesitate to restart this discussion, but I don't think that a consensus was ever reached about whether or not 3D artwork -- e.g. sculptures, carvings, etc. -- cannot be marked as "Only available on Alamy" in AIM. Any new thoughts on this confusing subject now that we're several months down the road from the contract changes? What are you doing these days when it comes to exclusivity and artwork? 

Edited by John Mitchell

3 answers to this question

2 hours ago, John Mitchell said:

I hesitate to restart this discussion, but I don't think that a consensus was ever reached about whether or not 3D artwork -- e.g. sculptures, carvings, etc. -- cannot be marked as "Only available on Alamy" in AIM. Any new thoughts on this confusing subject now that we're several months down the road from the contract changes? What are you doing these days when it comes to exclusivity and artwork? 

If it's 3D with a wide variety of possible viewpoints, then I'm often happy to mark as RM, editorial only, exclusive to Alamy - especially if I feel I've used an unusual viewpoint.

If it's a flat on view of 2D artwork, or a view of a 3D artwork from the only available viewing position then I go for RM, editorial only and not exclusive to Alamy.

At least that's my intention, hope I haven't missed any (I wish we could combine the attribute (e.g. exclusive) with search words in AIM).

That's my two penneth worth.

Mark

21 minutes ago, M.Chapman said:

If it's 3D with a wide variety of possible viewpoints, then I'm often happy to mark as RM, editorial only, exclusive to Alamy - especially if I feel I've used an unusual viewpoint.

If it's a flat on view of 2D artwork, or a view of a 3D artwork from the only available viewing position then I go for RM, editorial only and not exclusive to Alamy.

At least that's my intention, hope I haven't missed any (I wish we could combine the attribute (e.g. exclusive) with search words in AIM).

That's my two penneth worth.

Mark

Very well put, especially the part about viewing position since there are usually many ways to frame 3D artworks, and the likelihood of two images being taken from exactly the same perspective can be slim indeed.