press release image sale - query

sadler2121

Question

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Alamy and have started to get a few sales. I am confused by one of them and wondered if anyone could enlighten me, please?

The sale was editorial royalty free -  One use in a single editorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom

I have seen the image pop up on several websites including one in France. It looks to me as though the image was used in a press release and has been subsequently published by at least three different news outlets. (and on social media).

Does this sound right, or should a different licence have been obtained by the buyer? 

please excuse my naivety in this - I am still learning! :)

many thanks

5 answers to this question

3 hours ago, sadler2121 said:

Hi,

I'm fairly new to Alamy and have started to get a few sales. I am confused by one of them and wondered if anyone could enlighten me, please?

The sale was editorial royalty free -  One use in a single editorial article used within web versions of titles from the same group. Digital usage includes archive rights for the lifetime of the article. Country: United Kingdom

I have seen the image pop up on several websites including one in France. It looks to me as though the image was used in a press release and has been subsequently published by at least three different news outlets. (and on social media).

Does this sound right, or should a different licence have been obtained by the buyer? 

please excuse my naivety in this - I am still learning! :)

many thanks

Have you marked your images as RF or RM?

Not that it makes a lot of difference these days.

Allan

RF = Royalty Free: once the customer has purchased the image they can use it as many times as they like for no further payment. RM = Rights Managed: the customer pays for a specified use and has to pay again for any further uses.

On occasion this distinction has become somewhat blurred with Alamy coming up with terms that effectively sell RM as RF.