Irish Newspaper Use

Newspaper concerned has settled out of court for a decent sum (way more than Alamy would have even attempted to retrieve - and they wouldn't even have tried for infringement).

A couple of weeks ago I also received settlement for use of the same image on the Twitter feed of a County Council in Ireland.

So why do businesses do this with the low sums which agencies increasingly licence for?  I guess that they just chance their arm and feel that they are going to get away with it 90% of the time, so it's ultimately worth it?  They can get away with it most of the time, and if it has to go through an agency, then they know that the agency is unlikely to chase - or they will get away with just paying the original fee in any case, so in the long run, it's a no-brainer.  Cheat, and if you get caught, there's no penalty.

Don't let them get away with it.  FYI (and as some handy bookmarks for me) I have posted an article on Image Copyright with some handy links on my website.

Good luck all and Happy Easter! 🐰

• Love 1
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, losdemas said:

Don't let them get away with it.  FYI (and as some handy bookmarks for me) I have posted an article on Image Copyright with some handy links on my website.

Good luck all and Happy Easter! 🐰

I wonder if you should make it clear that the DMCA applies only to the US.

Edited by spacecadet

37 minutes ago, spacecadet said:

I wonder if you should make it clear that the DMCA applies only to the US.

Mmm, appreciate your point, but I don't think so.  While it is a US law, it governs many organisations that facilitate production of content that is viewed worldwide.  Filing a DMCA report to one of the companies listed should result in that content being removed.  If (for example) a UK user includes copyright material in a Facebook post, then FB will take that content down as a result of a DMCA request.  I don't want to give the (false) impression that if a user is outside the US, then they are exempt from this act.

20 minutes ago, losdemas said:

Mmm, appreciate your point, but I don't think so.  While it is a US law, it governs many organisations that facilitate production of content that is viewed worldwide.  Filing a DMCA report to one of the companies listed should result in that content being removed.  If (for example) a UK user includes copyright material in a Facebook post, then FB will take that content down as a result of a DMCA request.  I don't want to give the (false) impression that if a user is outside the US, then they are exempt from this act.

You might add this explanation, then. They are legally exempt but I agree could be affected by it.

There's the likewise false impression that a UK national could be proceeded against for a US infringement, or that a UK infringer might be protected by the safe-harbour provisions of DCMA, which is really a get-out-of-jail-free card for big US corporations with no validity here.

I still suggest you might give your readers the impression that DMCA will help a copyright holder in the UK- you don't actually refer to its being US law yourself.

Edited by spacecadet