Early opt out of Novel Use

Phil Robinson

Given that the so-called 'novel use' sales coming through these day in no way what we were led to believe they would be when the scheme started -

$1.62 for use in a government magazine with a circulation of 250,000, 'in perpetuity'!; advertising use on commercial travel websites etc -

and that many of us thought that the scheme had been discontinued a long time ago anyway, could we perhaps, as a friendly gesture, be given a one-off chance to opt out of it without having to wait until April?

Especially as after after Feb we will be getting 40% of nothing rather than 50% of nothing.

Is it the novel use bit that is causing these low value sales - I am getting quite a few of these and frankly I am not keen on the whole microstock thing. Is this the part that I should opt out of to get rid of these $5 sales?

12 hours ago, Bob J said:

Is it the novel use bit that is causing these low value sales - I am getting quite a few of these and frankly I am not keen on the whole microstock thing. Is this the part that I should opt out of to get rid of these $5 sales?

To be honest $5 isn't bad for Novel Use. It started out for customers who didn't fit into any of the traditional licencing models - like someone who wanted to put an image on a fridge magnet or a mug - but it now being used for 'special deals' with government magazines with a circulation of 250,000 to use images in perpetuity for $1.62. It's not what we signed up for, most of us thought it had been killed off years ago and some of us are somewhat surprised and not entirely happy to see our work being given away to people who can afford to pay, in some weird commercial experiment. 

• 2 weeks later...

Alamy, it would be very nice to be able to opt out of NU before April.

I had a few of those $1.25 X 50% sale (in perpetuity...), and considering the amount of work involved in submitting an image, I would prefer to opt out as soon as possible.

Thank you.

Archived