Helicopter ID help please

chris_rabe

Hi,

I'm not expert on the civil side of aviation but pretty confident that is a AgustaWestland (or Leonardo as they like to brand themselves nowadays) AW139. That's a common civil/military light to medium helicopter used in a lot of roles worldwide.

Gary

11 hours ago, Gary1701 said:

Hi,

I'm not expert on the civil side of aviation but pretty confident that is a AgustaWestland (or Leonardo as they like to brand themselves nowadays) AW139. That's a common civil/military light to medium helicopter used in a lot of roles worldwide.

Gary

Thanks - think I should have shared a tighter crop somewhere else, as it's hard to see in that image, but I think the windows are wrong for AgustaWestland 139, possibly 169 as well. But will have to wait til home to see larger view.

I was thinking it was a sikorski of some variety, but my research had shown up some fairly similar helicopters, even from different manufacturers.

3 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

Thanks - think I should have shared a tighter crop somewhere else, as it's hard to see in that image, but I think the windows are wrong for AgustaWestland 139, possibly 169 as well. But will have to wait til home to see larger view.

I was thinking it was a sikorski of some variety, but my research had shown up some fairly similar helicopters, even from different manufacturers.

Is there no way you can read the registration number?

wim

12 minutes ago, wiskerke said:

Is there no way you can read the registration number?

wim

I don't recall being able to see it, but maybe I wasn't thinking when I was trying to ID it :D

Will hopefully remember to have another look tonight.

Hi again,

The window arrangement looks okay for a AW139, although it is somewhat difficult to see but the undercarriage sponsons and the rear horizontal stabs with the upturned tips do match the AW139 and not a AW169. Is there a larger version available somewhere to see? If I could id the operator that would probably be enough to go on.

Gary

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

Apologies for my delay - you were right, is aw139

These things look awesome inside! :)

Hi,

No problems. My civil aviation id skills aren't as good as my military ones so I wasn't 100% sure, but was reasonably confident. I bet it was quite luxurious compared to the only helicopter I've ever flown on - a 30 minute low level exercise in a RAF Chinook over Norfolk hanging out of the back of the open ramp!

Gary

On 09/02/2019 at 11:01, Gary1701 said:

Hi,

No problems. My civil aviation id skills aren't as good as my military ones so I wasn't 100% sure, but was reasonably confident. I bet it was quite luxurious compared to the only helicopter I've ever flown on - a 30 minute low level exercise in a RAF Chinook over Norfolk hanging out of the back of the open ramp!

Gary

That sounds so awesome :D

9 hours ago, chris_rabe said:

That sounds so awesome :D

Hi again,

Yeah that was great fun. Sometime ago now, 2006 and was flown out of the RAF base at Watton in Norfolk (now housing as usual) when there was still a RAF reservist gliding school at the largely disused airfield, mostly for air cadet flying and my uncle was the CO. Watton is inside the large military training area in Norfolk called STANTA or Stamford battle training area and if UK military helicopters were operating in the airspace used by the gliding school the quid pro quo was that if able they came and gave the staff and cadets a quick flight! I personally have no connection with the school but one Sunday evening my uncle said that if I could get up there and take a few pics sharpish I could tag along with the rest of them in the Chinook that was coming in. Another unwritten rule when they do this is that they tend to throw it around a bit for the passengers down the back!

I couldn't photograph from the actual ramp, too much of a risk with loose items but shot this from the cabin over the STANTA area that evening. The Chinook was in full war fit with a M60 on the ramp.

IMG-6582.jpg

Back at Watton, airframe ZA674 was only the fifth Chinook delivered to the UK, back in 1980. Still going strong even now, 38 years later!

IMG-6533.jpg

Gary

Archived