Motorcycle ID help please

Starsphinx

I have just been doing some more research on the internet and it seems "Scottish" is the model of the bike not part of the manufacturer name as I thought.  One of the reasons I love photography is it gets me learning new stuff when researching the pictures I have taken.

6 hours ago, Starsphinx said:

I have just been doing some more research on the internet and it seems "Scottish" is the model of the bike not part of the manufacturer name as I thought.  One of the reasons I love photography is it gets me learning new stuff when researching the pictures I have taken.

Yes that makes sense, the model was probably named after the Scottish Six Day Trial (they won it and other major trials & motorcross events)- a high-profile motorcycle trial endurance event. Greeves were famous in the 50s, 60s and 70s for their motocross (scrambling as it was then known) and trials bikes.

Greeves was a British bike manufacturer, the Scottish was produced in the late 1950s and early 1960s. This from https://www.tmxnews.co.uk/news/trials/take-a-look-24-tes-greeves-scottish/

The Greeves Scottish was named in honour of Jack Simpson’s class win in the 1957 Scottish Six Days Trial and for many years it was the clubman rider’s favourite.

The Scottish went through a large number of updates during its eight-year production span, each change being indicated by a different suffix letter after the T.

The TE was introduced in 1962 and its alloy beam frame was specially devised for trials. The engine had a square-section alloy cylinder barrel, which reduced the weight while increasing the power output.

The TE stayed in producction for three years, the the 24TES was the top version with a 246cc Special engine with a weighted flywheel resulting in increased pulling power.

Don Smith won the 1964 European Trials Championship mounted on a Greeves TES.

More on Greeves at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greeves_(motorcycles)

Archived