Anyone use this scanner?

I need a really good scanner for prints for an exhibit.

Anyone have or use this scanner or can recommend something awesome?

Pacific Image PowerSlide 5000 CCD Slides Scanner with 5000dpi

http://www.amazon.com/Pacific-Image-PowerSlide-Scanner-5000dpi/dp/B0058ZOS2S/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8&colid=19BMLMLF6DS4E&coliid=IA8U5LEWKUBDF

OR....

Plustek OpticFilm 8100 Film & Slide Scanner

http://www.amazon.com/Plustek-OpticFilm-Scanner-OPTICFILM-1-45X1IN/dp/B00B2AR6TA/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1379315420&sr=8-4&keywords=Plustek+OpticFilm+8100+Film+%26+Slide+Scanner

Thx!

Linda,

All of the film scans that I have on Alamy were done on one of two Canon 35mm

film scanners.  Most were done on a Canoscan FS4000US which are not in

current production.  The FS 4000 is considered by many to be the sharpest

35mm desktop film scanner ever made and I would agree.  Good used scanners

can be had for a reasonable price.

It is a funny story but more than a decade ago I bought and paid for a new Nikon 35mm

film scanner and they could not deliver it to me.  One day I had negatives of a breaking

news event and needed a film scanner immediately.  I called Canon and they told me

what store to go to in my area to buy a Canoscan FS 2710, how much it would cost

and then a Canon tech stayed on the telephone with me while I set it up.  In the end

I was transmitting finished images within 1hour of leaving the house to buy the scanner.

The problem with the Canoscan FS 4000 US is that Canon does not make any parts for

the unit and if it breaks or you lose a carrier you are in trouble, but even though Canon

will argue with you,  they are committed to giving tech support on the Canon film

scanners for life.  I keep an old PC running Windows XP to do my scanning on, some

are using third party software (SilverFast is one) to use the scanners with modern OS's.

Keep in mind that I have no reason to say good things about Canon, I quit using their

cameras and lenses when they changed their lens mount in the late 1980's.

Thanks Chuck. What kind of connection? I notice the Canoscan 4000 was from 2002 or so. Is it USB? Firewire?

I'm on a newer Mac so older externals and old software are now starting to be a problem.

Thx!

Linda,

All of the film scans that I have on Alamy were done on one of two Canon 35mm

film scanners.  Most were done on a Canoscan FS4000US which are not in

current production.  The FS 4000 is considered by many to be the sharpest

35mm desktop film scanner ever made and I would agree.  Good used scanners

can be had for a reasonable price.

It is a funny story but more than a decade ago I bought and paid for a new Nikon 35mm

film scanner and they could not deliver it to me.  One day I had negatives of a breaking

news event and needed a film scanner immediately.  I called Canon and they told me

what store to go to in my area to buy a Canoscan FS 2710, how much it would cost

and then a Canon tech stayed on the telephone with me while I set it up.  In the end

I was transmitting finished images within 1hour of leaving the house to buy the scanner.

The problem with the Canoscan FS 4000 US is that Canon does not make any parts for

the unit and if it breaks or you lose a carrier you are in trouble, but even though Canon

will argue with you,  they are committed to giving tech support on the Canon film

scanners for life.  I keep an old PC running Windows XP to do my scanning on, some

are using third party software (SilverFast is one) to use the scanners with modern OS's.

Keep in mind that I have no reason to say good things about Canon, I quit using their

cameras and lenses when they changed their lens mount in the late 1980's.

The Canoscan FS4000 is a great scanner. I had one. However, the interface is USB 1 (painfully slow) or SCSI, and I forget which SCSI connector it was. You can still find SCSI cards online if you have a computer that will take one. I'm betting Vuescan will still control an FS4000.

I use my 4000's with SCSI connection through ADAPTEC 16bit PCMCIA cards in laptops running Windows XP.

The only other way to connect the 4000 is using the USB 1 (slower and the scanner does not respond quickly).

Linda,

It takes some time but you can call Canon and they will try to find someone to talk to you, not many people

left that know the CanoScans, but if you can find someone they can tell you how to set it up.  I created a

way to scan directly into CS4, have not tried with 5 or 6 and when I set it up they did not know if it would

work.

It is a great scanner though.  I've done Kodachromes, Ektachrome, Fujichromes and Tri-X on my 4000's.

Vincent, I have one that I haven't used for a few years (and for a few OS updates). What OS do you use it with? Do you use USB or SCSI?

All the slide scans that I have on Alamy were done on the FS4000.

Vincent, I have one that I haven't used for a few years (and for a few OS updates). What OS do you use it with? Do you use USB or SCSI?

All the slide scans that I have on Alamy were done on the FS4000.

Sorry for the late reply -

I'm on Windows 7, USB.  Couldn't get any Canon drivers for it but Vuescan works a treat.

I have not bothered to try any of my CanoScan units on my Windows 7 machines, I only run the scanners on old XP laptops.

As I wrote earlier I also do not like to use the FS4000 with a USB connection,  I run them through SCSI to an Adaptec 16bit

PCMCIA card.  I scan directly into the Canon software that I have inside of 32bit PS4.  The preview takes 90 seconds and a

full scan and saved as a 16bit TIFF takes 6 minutes.  I also scan and save one image at a time.

Another thing I have learned on the FS4000 is that I never scan mounted chrome, from an unmounted positive I get a 5700 X

Archived