Pet Photography

Lisa

One of my first professional paying photography commissions, (when I was 15) was to photograph a Golden Retriever. I even remember his name, Major. Many years later my Black Labrador Gus used to travel everywhere with me on location. He used to sit patiently under the tripod while I was composing and focussing under the darkcloth and only run out after he heard the shutter go off.

Pete Davis

http://www.pete-davis-photography.com/

http://peteslandscape.blogspot.com/

• 2 weeks later...

Lisa,

How are you marketing your pet photography services?  My first commissioned job with with a major pet food supplier to photograph portraits of over 100 retrievers, but I haven't been ablt to really connect with pet owners.

Thanks. 

Rich

19 hours ago, Richard said:

Lisa,

How are you marketing your pet photography services?  My first commissioned job with with a major pet food supplier to photograph portraits of over 100 retrievers, but I haven't been ablt to really connect with pet owners.

Thanks. 

Rich

I go to a lot of pet expos.  There are usually a photographer or two with a booth selling their services.  Some offer free services to the expo of taking pet portraits for free or a very nominal fee to build a client base.  Pet people are like parents.  Maybe they get one for free, but when they see the shoot will tend to buy more or order a larger print.

Jill

• 2 weeks later...

Richard,

I grew up in Eastern Washington, my first job was picking up police reports for the Wenatchee Daily World,

Then doing pictures for the paper with a PENTAX Spotmatic.  Back to the OP,  Dogs and Cats are small change.

Doing great images of Horses is real money, I have a friend in Newport RI that gets $10,000 for a horse portrait.

Keep in mind the she arrives with a 16ft truck, two assistants and over 10,000 watts of studio strobes.

I do miss water skiing on Lake Chelan, had a 140 Merc outboard V hull

Archived