DNA India? Theft or Legitimate?

I published an image on Alamy Live News on Saturday and today I found a low resolution version (pixelated and all) on a web site in India.  They did credit me, but given the size of the image (and the poor quality) it appears to be an infringement.

http://www.dnaindia.com/bigpicture/1886284/photo-cyclists-parade-for-better-bicycle-trails

Has anyone heard of them?  Has anyone dealt with image infringements in India?

Thanks.

If it were a legit Alamy news sale, wouldn't the credit line read "Ed Endicott / Alamy" or just "Alamy"?

P.S. Interesting to see that no one is wearing a helmet. You wouldn't find that here in Vancouver. In fact, there is a fine (theoretically) for not wearing a helmet.

If it were a legit Alamy news sale, wouldn't the credit line read "Ed Endicott / Alamy" or just "Alamy"?

P.S. Interesting to see that no one is wearing a helmet. You wouldn't find that here in Vancouver. In fact, there is a fine (theoretically) for not wearing a helmet.

You're correct.  These images went to three places - my website (which the only way they could do what they did is via screen shot), Another agent that has their watermark directly across the image unless it is licensed (who would also have been credited) and Alamy - who allows a small res comp download with watermark.

According to Google Analytics, I have not had any visits to my website from India.

I suspect this is a small res comp download lifted from Alamy and the watermarked cloned. The pixelation is in the areas of where the watermark should be. The other thing that disturbs me is this website states it is also a "syndication" company and they have images available for licensing (though I have not been able to find my image available for sale.

In Colorado a helmet is recommended but not required legally.

File is quite small 51.19 KB (52415 bytes) for 1000px × 667px image.  51.19 KB = size of a typical comp download?

I published an image on Alamy Live News on Saturday and today I found a low resolution version (pixelated and all) on a web site in India.  They did credit me, but given the size of the image (and the poor quality) it appears to be an infringement.

http://www.dnaindia.com/bigpicture/1886284/photo-cyclists-parade-for-better-bicycle-trails

Has anyone heard of them?  Has anyone dealt with image infringements in India?

Thanks.

Alamy's comp is 640 x 447 the other website downloadable image when right clicked is 800x533.  It's apparent the image has been upsized (possible cause of the pixelation).

This website has 83,000 followers on Twitter.  I've sent a Tweet asking where they licensed the image from.  We'll see what happens (I'll probably get ignored).  A friend with more programming experience than myself has indicated that the code behind the website "searches the social media and pull images with the right tags into their articles."  These images were not put into social media (at least not by me).

Alamy's comp is 640 x 447 the other website downloadable image when right clicked is 800x533.  It's apparent the image has been upsized (possible cause of the pixelation).

This website has 83,000 followers on Twitter.  I've sent a Tweet asking where they licensed the image from.  We'll see what happens (I'll probably get ignored).  A friend with more programming experience than myself has indicated that the code behind the website "searches the social media and pull images with the right tags into their articles."  These images were not put into social media (at least not by me).

Good luck. Keep us posted.

I received a response...they indicate the image was licensed from a sub-agent of the other agent.  It's amazing how we can't keep track of who our image distributors are these days even with rights managed licensing.

Does this mean you might actually earn a rupee or two?

The image has this in the IPTC (no indication of a subagent): 

© Corbis.  All Rights Reserved.

07 Sep 2013, Denver, Colorado, USA --- Denver, United States. 7th September 2013 -- Cyclists parade around Denvers City Park in costume during the New Belgium Brewery Tour de Fat as part of a fundraiser sponsored by the brewery to promote better bicycle trails in cities throughout the U.S. -- Bicycle riders paraded around Denvers City Park in costume during the New Belgium Brewery Tour de Fat. The Tour de Fat is a fundraiser sponsored by the brewery to promote better bicycle trails in cities throughout the U.S. --- Image by © Ed Endicott/Demotix/Corbis

http://www.corbisimages.com/stock-photo/rights-managed/42-51156617/new-belgium-brewery-tour-de-fat?popup=1

Should show up on your corbis statement soon :)

No fine for not wearing a helmet on a cycle. If there is one, I have never seen a policeman enforcing such a law ..

Archived