I would be grateful for any advice on this bird's ID.  Photographed in July at Cape St Marys on Newfoundland.  Best I've come up with is an American Tree Sparrow - but all of the bird books mention a dark spot on the chest which this one doesn't have - immature maybe?  Thanks in advance for any help.

Steve

PAJ5WA.jpg

Thanks everyone - and especially Cryptoprocta, Kinglet it is.  I hadn't heard of them but looking in a bird guide the illustration could almost be a copy of my shot.
Many thanks.

Steve

Hi there. While this is a nice photo it is difficult to see the important field marks to identify the bird, but here is what I am seeing (and not seeing). Unlike a Kinglet, this bird has 2 wing bars and not much yellow in its wings or tail coverts. Also it's head is "peakier" as opposed to round. The bill seems broad and flat, with "feeler hairs" at the base. Note the eye ring is round, not oval. Kinglet rarely are ground feeders. These characteristics are more in line with an flycatcher. Given the range and where it was photographed, I would call this a JV or female Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,  Empidonax flaviventris. 

4 hours ago, Snappy on California said:

Hi there. While this is a nice photo it is difficult to see the important field marks to identify the bird, but here is what I am seeing (and not seeing). Unlike a Kinglet, this bird has 2 wing bars and not much yellow in its wings or tail coverts. Also it's head is "peakier" as opposed to round. The bill seems broad and flat, with "feeler hairs" at the base. Note the eye ring is round, not oval. Kinglet rarely are ground feeders. These characteristics are more in line with an flycatcher. Given the range and where it was photographed, I would call this a JV or female Yellow-bellied Flycatcher,  Empidonax flaviventris. 

Good point about the two wing bars. I see there's a Hutton's Vireo which is also similar to the kinglet, but Florida would be well out of range.

It's funny, because like Kay, before I saw where it was photographed, my automatic thought was immature Goldcrest - but that does have two stripes, but a less distinct eye-ring.

Hmm, the plot thickens.  The bird guide I looked in (North American Bird Guide by David Sibley) does seem to show two wing bars on the kinglet - although those on the flycatcher definitely seem more pronounced.  I'll try checking a few more examples.

Thanks for the help.

Steve

Archived