Vague licensing details and tracking legitimate usage

Hi folks

An image of mine appeared in the online edition of the FT a couple of days back.  (The link is here, but it's firewalled so may not work,  and I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a screenshot here! https://www.ft.com/content/ace1dbe0-7ece-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475 )

The image in question has been licensed quite a few times,  but never for anything saying "newspaper". One license says "single company multiple use, editorial only" but doesn't say who the company was. So, with the vagueness of the license detail,  how can I know whether this usage was legitimate or not? Is it reasonable to report it to Alamy as a possible infringement and ask them to confirm whether they have a sale logged to the FT?

Thanks, Kate

2 hours ago, KateR said:

Hi folks

An image of mine appeared in the online edition of the FT a couple of days back.  (The link is here, but it's firewalled so may not work,  and I can't for the life of me figure out how to insert a screenshot here! https://www.ft.com/content/ace1dbe0-7ece-11e8-8e67-1e1a0846c475 )

The image in question has been licensed quite a few times,  but never for anything saying "newspaper". One license says "single company multiple use, editorial only" but doesn't say who the company was. So, with the vagueness of the license detail,  how can I know whether this usage was legitimate or not? Is it reasonable to report it to Alamy as a possible infringement and ask them to confirm whether they have a sale logged to the FT?

Thanks, Kate

2 hours ago, spacecadet said:

If it was only used a few days ago it won't be reported for a couple of months. It will show as "editorial newspaper".

Don't bother Alamy with it unless it's not appeared in 3 months.

...and then you can contact MS to ask if the usage you have found is an Alamy license.  Otherwise you will be free to contact the user to claim payment (or any other further action) outside of Alamy.

Archived